Computing and Programming - Georgia Tech Supplemental Essay

TheShubhi 1 / 1  
This is my essay for Georgia Tech. I have difficulty writing in English (even though it's my first language). Any weird wording? Is it too all over the place? Is it too generic?

Why do you want to study your chosen major at Georgia Tech, and how do you think Georgia Tech will prepare you to pursue opportunities in that field after graduation? (300 words max)

GATech will allow me to...

My passion for programming started from clubs at school, where I made LEGO battlebots and programmed Arduinos. Intrigued by the unlimited possibilities in programming, I learned Java and started making applications such as calculators, simulations and animation tools for school. When I started competitive programming, I realised that computer science was much more than coding apps. I explored algorithms in graph theory and primality testing, applying my knowledge to solve competition problems. Creating games and game hacks, I developed a fascination for AI; I often had to use minimax, pathfinding algorithms and neural networks in games. I want to study computer science to further my knowledge beyond what can be obtained from MOOCs. A CS degree will open doors for me as a software engineer, preferably in a field of my interest such as AI.

A dedicated College of Computing and the huge CS program at GATech will allow me to immerse myself in CS and work with like minded students and lots of experts. I can pursue my interest in AI and algorithms through the Intelligence and Theory Threads. The Threads system not only allows me to focus on my areas of interest but prepares me for a career in these areas. With a large number of project based courses and clubs like The Agency, I will have opportunities to implement things rather than be limited to theory. The research opportunities available through UROC will also give me experience while allowing me to work with AI and robotics experts. The co op and internship program provides more opportunities for me to gain experience. Additionally, a degree from the College of Computing is looked upon highly by employers as evidenced by the big companies usually in the CoC lobby and opportunities such as CoC specific career fairs.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@TheShubhi
Hello there. I'll be reviewing your essay for you. I hope that you find this feedback to be helpful in the long-run. I apologize for any delay.

First and foremost, I would opt that you focus on making concrete the central theme of your essay in the first paragraph rather than jumping straight into a cinematic entry point for your writing. What you had done was solely put all of your effort into expounding things from the base point. Rather than doing this, I heavily suggest that you try to categorize everything to ensure that the details are placed with much precision.

Taking it further, I also recommend that you encapsulate your writing with a proper conclusive paragraph. Because this form of writing entails that you are bale to link everything to Gatech, you should be able to formulate your own thoughts and opinions regarding so without sacrificing the chunk of detail given to you.

Because you're working within a word count, keep everything short and simple as much as possible.
sharvilgrg 1 / 2 1  
@TheShubhi
I believe that you should try to include something more personal to the list of reason that prompted you to apply to Georgia tech. It currently feels a bit generic with just names of resources from GATech to further your point.
OP TheShubhi 1 / 1  
@Maria
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will pretty much have to write it scratch as it seems very messy and I haven't linked my motivations for wanting to study computer science at Georgia Tech.

@sharvilgrg
Thanks for the help. I have got this feedback from my friends too. I guess I will really have to research about Georgia Tech.

Home / Undergraduate / Computing and Programming - Georgia Tech Supplemental Essay