Concealing my culture essay

jampamz 6 / 33  
Please help! I will edit yours back!

By the age of two, I was fluent in both Tamil and Kannada.
Now, I can barely sputter out a few sentences.
My family comes from a part of India where the community speaks Kannada, but business is conducted in Tamil. I can understand both fluently, but am able to communicate in neither.

When I immigrated to America, I found my peers conversed in exclusively English. I was intimidated by this detail, but tried to ignore it. However, one day, I took my favorite lunch to school, my mother's spicy Chicken Biryani. I was relishing my meal, until a boy pointed at a piece of chicken and screamed, "Ew, that looks like poop!" Ashamed, I hid my lunch away, discreetly dumping it in the trash before returning to class. The isolation continued as children ridiculed my braids and asked me why I wore my sacred black thread around my wrist. I wanted to suppress my Indian heritage and be American, like everyone else. To the disappointment of my parents, I refused to speak my native languages and eventually forgot their tastes on my tongue.

In middle school, I moved to a new neighborhood-one that ebbed with diversity. Suddenly, I heard a variety of languages ringing through the hallways. I had friends who woke up at eight a.m. on Saturdays to attend Chinese school. One of them taught me how to count to ten in Mandarin, and I excitedly spent the day repeating what I had learned. Only later did I realize I could count in English, French, Spanish and Mandarin, but not Tamil. Uneasy, I started watching some Tamil television. However, I wasn't deeply troubled by my cultural disconnection until I visited India the summer after the eighth grade.

After a long trip, my family arrived at a small white house. My parents rushed forward to greet my grandparents, and I followed a step behind. Bright-eyed and smiling, my grandma kissed me and asked me a string of questions. I could not respond. My grandma didn't understand English.

I felt weak. I rummaged my mind for the appropriate words to answer her questions, but found it was empty. My grandma's smile slowly shrank.

Why couldn't I think of what to say?
"You should teach your children their mother tongue," she advised my mother.
Nungi... Nungi vanum. Is that Kannada or Tamil? Remember, Grandma never went to school. She only understands Kannada."I've tried, Mom," my mother wistfully responded. "I even speak in it at home."

"She used to speak so well," my grandma replied softly.
I thought back to when I last visited. The memory was blurry, but I remember sitting on the floor, laughing about something that happened at the temple. I would never feel that connection again. Scared, I asked my mother to teach me Kannada. She told me to learn from my grandma.

Over the course of the summer I taught my grandma the English alphabet, smiling that she pronounced the letter "Z" like "G". In turn, she taught me simple phrases in Kannada, helping me mentally differentiate it from Tamil. I enrolled in a Carnatic singing class and acquainted myself with the pentatonic scale. When I returned to America, I continued learning the languages and took up the traditional Indian dance of Bharatnatyam. By coordinating bold expressions and gestures with rhythmic footwork, I discovered the ancient stories of my people. I was fascinated by the culture I had concealed, and regretful that I had concealed it so long.

Sometimes I sit down at the table with a cup of chai and my Kannada reader. I trace the curvy letters with my finger, dreaming of the day when I can carry out a full conversation with my grandma.
autogunny 3 / 72  
I love your essay. I can speak Tamil, I don't know what "Nungi vanum" is tho. Is that kannada? Anyway, I really liked your essay, nice imagery. can you critique my BU 3 words essay :)?
skyworthy 3 / 17  
fluently, but I am able to communicate in neither.

peers converse exclusively in

I wanted to suppress my Indian heritage and be American like everyone else

I think you need to work on transitions.
OP jampamz 6 / 33  
Thanks, guys. I made the changes you suggested, skyworthy. Anything a little more specific?
skyworthy 3 / 17  
questions, but found that it was empty

shrinking smile? never heard of it?

maybe slowly subsided?

"Why couldn't I think of what to say?" was going through my mind.

"Nungi... Nungi vanum. Is that Kannada or Tamil? Remember, Grandma never went to school. She only understands Kannada" this needs explanation. Even though I understood it because I speak 4 languages and understand what moms say to children when they make mistake, many may not understand.

"I've tried Mom," I said

My mother _don't use ____wistful_______ responded, "I even speak in "it" at home."

The it is what?

Nungi... Nungi vanum. Is that Kannada or Tamil? Remember, Grandma never went to school. She only understands Kannada.
"I've tried, Mom," my mother wistfully responded. "I even speak in it at home."

who is speaking to who? if mom responds to you, then granda cannot reply.

of the summer, I taught my grandma the English alphabet, smiling from time to time because she pronounced the letter

I had concealed and regretful that I had concealed it so long.

The essay isn't flowing as a whole. The trasitions must be stronger. Your sentence down flow(no idea flow I mean)

Can you look at mine? Thanks
esteban8 1 / 2  
You definitely have a captivating story, I can even relate to it myself. The main thing I would work on is the flow of your essay. Sometimes you jump between ideas and events pretty quickly that the reader might become a little confused. But I really like how you relate your experience of assimilating to America with specific situations. Overall, great essay, with a little final work, I'm sure you'll have an excellent application.

I would love for your input on my essay:

Home / Undergraduate / Concealing my culture essay