Conditional Admissions Essay for Pharmacy at Pitt !!

jrand17 2 / 6  
Typed this up relatively quickly (Jan. deadline) so it might be full of grammatical errors
Please, I am open to all critiques and suggestions.

Thanks !!

Prompt: How you became interested in the field of pharmacy

I became fascinated by the field of pharmacy at a rather young age. I recall on one specific occasion, our family gathered at my uncle's house. I never truly knew what my uncle's job was, so I asked him what he did for a living. He then told me he was a pharmacist, and proceeded in telling me of all the wonderful responsibilities and opportunities that his career path entailed.

Since that occasion, I have frequently spoken with my uncle on different aspects of pharmacy. Specifically, I have learned how closely pharmacists work with other health professionals. I see this as a positive integration that will better the abilities for the American health care system to help society. Through various community service activities, I have seen how essential pharmacists, and health professionals in general, are to the benefit of the commonwealth.

Recent economic hardships have caused many people to lose jobs and pay. But through research, I have found that pharmacy is a field that continues to be on the rise in the workforce. With this surge of openings coupled with an aging society, being a pharmacist can lead to the stable career choice that I strive for.

There are also myriad work opportunities, ranging from retail and hospital jobs to positions in marketing/research and nuclear pharmacy. These various opportunities fit my idea of a dream job; one where I can get my degree and branch out into an abundance of distinctive fields and positions.

Besides my uncle and community service, my current job at CVS has taught me immensely about what goes into being a pharmacist. In talking with them and seeing what they do, I have discovered that they take on great responsibilities, consulting patients and recommending remedies. Between my strength of schedule at school and my promotion at work to run a photo lab efficiently, I have a newfound fondness of taking on responsibilities, which is an integral part to being a pharmacist. Through work, I have also learned about interaction. Working in the photo lab, you interact with customers for extended periods of time, whether be on photography or just small-talk. When I walk back to the pharmacy area, I see the same type of communication. I believe that you need to be a personable, affable person to have that sort of interaction and in turn create a rapport with customers and patients.

Being a pharmacist, you meet many new people, a facet of the job I look forward to a great deal. You build a relationship not only with patients, but with other pharmacists, pharmacy techs, and doctors. It has even been said patients come to a pharmacist for advice before a doctor, and more surprisingly, doctors even come to a pharmacist for assistance. Considering myself a "people-person", this trust and accessibility is vital to a successful career as a pharmacist, and one of the primary reasons why I ultimately want to become one.

In addition to this interaction, one must acquire a thirst for knowledge, especially for fields concentrated in research. So far, with my desire to learn, I have developed myself to be a well-rounded individual in hopes to achieve great success in my career choice.

In conclusion, I originally became interested in pharmacy through my uncle, then branching out, eager to discover more about the profession. I aspire to continuously apply my yearning for knowledge, eventually with a certain doctoral acronym attached to my name.
The first paragraph leaves me thinking, "Like what?" Can you end the first paragraph with a profound statement about pharmacy? (Something more meaningful that just job security in a struggling economy.)

It's best to set aside some time for this sort of thing, because it makes a big difference! I think you could divide up these paragraphs and present the most important parts in a way that makes you seem very driven in this field. For example, present it as if you got your job at CVS in order to pursue your passionate aspiration Write a whole paragraph about how steadfast you are in your conviction.

Get them to feel excited about having such a dedicated student.
OP jrand17 2 / 6  
Thanks for the help guys.

Going to rework this and tinker it.

Home / Undergraduate / Conditional Admissions Essay for Pharmacy at Pitt !!