Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'confidence and awareness in the sport of soccer' - background or story

beccaboo0297 1 / -  
The prompt I chose was "Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story." I attempted to create a detailed account of myself gaining confidence and awareness in the sport of soccer.

I approached a worn fence encompassing the soccer fields. My hands, still small enough to fit in the openings, gripped tightly around the metal bar. I lingered in this position aimlessly; I could not discard the fear preventing me from walking through the gate. Who would I talk to? What if I'm not talented enough? Am I going to embarrass myself? I heard the slow brush of my coach's footsteps walking towards the fence. She was carrying a red jersey in one hand. Her other hand was held open to me. She was not forceful, inviting me to take control of the situation.

As a shy only child with an instinct to remain isolated, I grabbed her hand and followed behind her to the rest of my team. I witnessed all of the other children talking to one another and was uncomfortable standing alone. I attempted to escape my initial doubts by introducing myself to a girl approximately my age. Unfortunately, the rest of the team intimidated me: They were all much older and bigger, and boys still gave me anxiety. I wanted to establish a prominent role on the team, but I couldn't even acquire the nerve to speak.

When games began to loom, the coach made a disquieting discovery: Our starting lineup needed another defensemen. Eager to become more involved, I volunteered for the position. Since our team was called "the Crabapples," I searched at home for red socks, shorts, headbands, and shoe laces that would impressively stand out on the field. Afraid that the homemade outfit couldn't compare to the professional ensembles of other kids, I packed my red wristband to enhance my image.

At our first game of the season, I felt awkward and displaced. I had grown comfortable blending into the background, but the sun felt like a spotlight shining upon my gleaming red outfit, forcing me to stand out. I was paralyzed with terror and refused to enter the playing field, causing me to miss the first half.

When my team ran out for the second half, I stepped tentatively onto the field. My father chanted deafeningly as I turned to him in the front row of the packed bleachers. I squinted into the audience, overwhelmed by the sea of parents wearing red T-shirts. Shockingly, when my teammate passed me the ball, I kicked it across the entire field and the audience erupted into applause. Skeptical if this positive response was truly directed towards me, I obtained the ball again and kicked it again to incite a similar reaction. Along with my increased participation, my team began to play cooperatively and won the game.

Empowered with success, I gained greater confidence with each game. Soon I was dashing about the field with my red attire gleaming in the sunlight, thriving off the roar of the crowd. I showcased every new move I had been practicing at home in my own backyard. I even began to expand my position of defense to other areas of the field such as mid-field and offense.

The final game of the season had arrived and it was being held at our home field. My legs swung back and forth on the bench impatiently waiting for the game to commence. My anticipation was only mildly hampered as the clouds began to pour rain. My coach acknowledged my sudden change in mood and pulled me to the side. "Sports do not build character. They reveal it," she said handing me my water bottle. These powerful words struck me in an unimaginable way. Once my positivity had been restored, my coach ushered me towards my team with a wink, sending us off to win the championship.

Over the years, I have joined and participated in countless soccer leagues and clubs, as well as school athletics. I found that one person is not superior to another, but rather, that I was misguided in presuming that only a person who follows the crowd and strives to be like everyone else could be successful at a sport. In fact, some of my favorite teams I belonged to have been comprised of unconventional people. When I finally saw beyond my own preconceptions, my real soul was revealed. I realized that just as the quietest girl can become the most exquisite athlete, true insight can come from the most unexpected places.

Home / Undergraduate / 'confidence and awareness in the sport of soccer' - background or story