Conflicts between my parents; Transition from childhood to adulthood

payton45 1 / 1  
My defining moment of my transition from childhood to adulthood came at a very young age. I was never really able to understand the conflicts that took place between my parents or about my mothers addiction. What I did know was that my mother was not like the other mothers. As I grew up I worried about things normal 10-year-old's didn't even think about, things like how I would get to school, where I would get my lunch money, and most importantly would my mom be there when I woke up. I felt like I was more mature than about 90% of the adults in my life. Taking care of my three younger brothers became a daily chore for me. My school work was pushed aside and I wasn't able to go play with my friends, I had to take on the adult responsibilities in the house. Although, as hard as it was to grow up in an environment like that I wouldn't change any of it. The hardships that I have faced while being under my mothers care has shaped me into the person I am today. I have seen the consequences that come from bad decisions and habits. I believe people go through things for a reason, and I couldn't imagine my life being any different. I was forced to grow up faster than most kids, but I have learned how to be a responsible person. I don't resent my mother for what she has done, but I want to thank her. She didn't teach me very much in my life but she has unknowingly taught me how to be responsible and mature. You can't change the past but you can certainly learn from it and that is what I have chosen to do.
itsover9000 1 / 2  
Overall its well written. I would suggest that you write a few lines on how taking care of your siblings taught you skills which will help you in college. Also the prompt asks for a defining moment whereas you have described an entire period of transition. Maybe you can talk about a specific incident which had a deep impact on you...

Hope I helped
OP payton45 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for your help(:
rmp1030 1 / 1  
MyThe defining moment of my transition from childhood to adulthood came at a very young age. I was never really able to understand the conflicts that took place between my parents or about my mothers addiction. What I did know was that my mother was not like the other mothers. As I grew up, I worried about things normal 10-year-old's did no t even think about, things like how I would get to school, where I would get my lunch money, and most importantly would my mom be there when I woke up. I felt like I was more mature than about 90% of the adults in my life. Taking care of my three younger brothers became a daily chore for me. My school work was pushed aside and I was no t able to go play with my friends, I had to take on the adult responsibilities in the house. Although, as hard as it was to grow up in an environment like that, I would no change any of it. The hardships that I have faced while being under my mothers care has shaped me into the person I am today. I have seen the consequences that come from bad decisions and habits. I believe people go through things for a reason, and I could no t imagine my life being any different. I was forced to grow up faster than most kids, but I have learned how to be a responsible person. I don't resent my mother for what she has done, but I want to thank her. She didn't teach me very much in my life but she has unknowingly taught me how to be responsible and mature. You canno t change the past but you can certainly learn from it and that is what I have chosen to do.
I was never really able to understand the conflicts that took place between my parents n or about my mothers addiction.

What is this addiction? You better specify!

As I grew up I worried about things a normal 10-year-old'sold didn't even think about, things like how I would get to school, where I would get my lunch money, and most importantly would my mom be there when I woke up.

I grew up with worries that an average 10-year-old even wouldn't think of. I had to worry about how I would get to school, get my lunch money, and most importantly would my mom be there when I woke up.

I felt like I was more mature than about 90% of the adults in my life . Taking care of my three younger brothers became a daily chore for me.

I feel the first part really does not add any value to your response. Focus on the situations that helped you mature faster.
Taking care of my three younger siblings became a part of my daily chores.

Home / Undergraduate / Conflicts between my parents; Transition from childhood to adulthood