Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"...constant fighting of my parents" - UCF essay number two

beckerb33 3 / -  
This is my second UCF essay on How my family history, culture or environment influenced me. As before, please look it over and give me feedback as well as corrections. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

One of the worst days of my life was also one of the most meaningful and memorable. The weeks leading up to that day had been rich with both tension and the constant fighting of my parents. "Andrew, Cara, Troy, can you guys come down here, we need to talk to you," my parents shouted. My siblings and I feared the worst. My parents were getting a divorce. A nightmare had become a reality. My "perfect" life had ceased to exist. Never before had I experienced such emotional pain. Initially devastated and lost, I now realize how much I benefited from their breakup. Even though I now came from a "broken" home, I became more whole. In the aftermath of the schism, I got the chance to be closer with each of my parents, and each of my parents in turn, imparted invaluable lessons of life unto me.

My dad spent most of my childhood establishing himself as one of the most popular and sought after pediatricians in my hometown. He also spent a lot of time away from home at night working late hours at the emergency room. Because of his hard work making money for the family, I had to grow up without a strong father figure. The divorce brought with it a chance to get back the lost time with my father. For the next five years we had various bonding experiences and I have benefited greatly from this new found relationship. I learned much from the renowned pediatrician beloved by so many. One such lesson my dad taught me was the importance of initiative. After eight years of rigorous schooling, my dad got his M.D. in medicine. Everyday I try to emulate the drive and hard work which got him through all those years of medical school. Working and paying his way through college himself, my dad showed me the value of good work ethic. From him, I learned to balance academics with both an internship, and a part-time job. My dad wasn't the only parent to teach me many lessons to help me throughout life however; my mom influenced me as well.

A single parent trying to raise three teenagers has to be quite a challenge. One woman took the task head on and came out successful. Struggling as a single mother, my mom somehow kept the house running from week to week. The strength my mother had, and still has, to deal with the obstacles presented daily, is astounding. From taking me to and from work, to conquering her fear of teaching me how drive, my mother's strength knows no bounds. This strength is one thing she has definitely left in me. After seeing her strength, I feel I have the moral strength to deal with anything college life throws my way. One lesson my mother has taught and reminds me of everyday is financial management. Even though my parents both worked tirelessly to provide for my siblings and me, financial woes still plagued them. My mom always makes sure I know how to handle my own money and save for the future. Another influential quality my mom has modeled for me is to have an open mind. After the divorce, my mom opened her own mind to new forms of worship and spirituality. She now practices various forms of mediation to increase her own moral strength. My mom has shown me that having an open mind is not only necessary, but also a great tool to have and rely on. I will use this tool during my college assimilation process to adapt to the challenges and changes that come with adulthood. I feel confident in facing the adult world knowing her influence has aided me throughout my childhood and teenage years.

The influence that both my parents have given me has created the strong foundation to succeed with excellence throughout my college years. From having good work ethic to having an open mind, the ways of my parents have shaped who I am today and the person I will become.

Home / Undergraduate / "...constant fighting of my parents" - UCF essay number two