Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Constantly improving my study' - Readmission Letter

Kevin1292 1 / -  
Please provide feedback on my readmission essay. Thank you!

Requirements: An academic personal statement is required for freshmen and optional for transfer students. This statement should be approximately 500 words and identify and explain the following:

- Why you feel Illinois State University is a good fit for your educational goals,
- Your academic strengths and weaknesses, and
- Any circumstances which affected your academic performance, if applicable.

Attending Illinois State University was one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself, however, my last semester was one of the hardest times I have ever had to experience in my life. After a successful two semesters at Illinois State and a summer at home, I returned to Illinois State in the fall of 2010 and soon suffered what I later learned to be a depressive episode brought on by a previously undiagnosed case of Bipolar I disorder. Up until that point I had experienced depressive states on and off for a few years before, but I had never gone through something so tremendously crippling. Throughout the semester I found it extremely difficult to even get out of bed in the morning as my class attendance began to drop significantly, consequently so did my grades. I was later hospitalized for the depression, and was soon diagnosed as having bipolar disorder.

I have since been placed on a mood stabilizer and an anti-depressant which I take daily, as well as routine of regular therapy and checkups. The ordeal was tremendously difficult even after I was diagnosed, but I believe that I came out of it a better person for having gone through it. I did not let it define who I am, and I have only gotten stronger because of it. It has shown me that I do not have to suffer in silence, and I can find strength with the support of my family and friends, as well as by hard work, regular and exercise. While a very difficult ordeal, I understand that this is not an excuse or a justification. If anything, it has served to teach me to take the positive from any situation.

I am currently enrolled at Community College where at the end of this semester, I will have completed 26 credit hours. I fully understand the significance and importance of continuing my education. I know that while it will be no easy task; however I wholeheartedly believe that I will be able to graduate from Illinois State University after the spring semester of 2015. I want to earn a degree from Illinois State not only because of the superior education and curriculum, but because I understand the significance as well as the pride that goes along with being a Redbird.

Constantly improving my study habits have been something that I have taken pride on, and my motivation and work ethic has never been stronger. I have no difficulty balancing class, study time, and working 12-15 hours a week. Staying busy is very important, and I know I will only continue to improve if allowed readmission. I am in charge of my future, and I plan to continue on succeeding academically so that I may later succeed in the work place and in life. After a year away, I know that I am ready to return to Illinois State University and I hope you see this as well. Thank you for your time and go Redbirds!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Constantly improving my study' - Readmission Letter