I was constantly surrounded by the pets ; UC Personal Statement- Intended Major

alopez1576 1 / -  
I am applying to UC Davis and UC Santa Barbara for Animal Sciences and Zoology, respectively. I'm not sure how to state both as my intended majors, as it depends which school I enroll in...

Any other help and advice is greatly appreciated!

What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

My decision to pursue an education in Animal Sciences is not one that came easily or immediately. During my late high school years, and until my first year of college, I had resolved to study Psychology. However, the little passion that I held for that subject seemed to dwindle; I found myself pondering a career that I could be truly passionate for, enough to enjoy my career for the rest of my life. Animal sciences came to mind as I recalled dreaming of being a veterinarian when I was a child. During my childhood, I was constantly surrounded by the pets of my loved ones, and I quickly grew attached to the furry balls of affection, rushing to comfort them at the slightest whimper. My love for animals and their welfare has never faded, the idea of pursuing it as a career had merely been eclipsed by the idea of becoming a psychologist. In pursuing that career, however, I realized that it was not where my passion lay and helping animals was my true calling.

As I attended Dominican University of California, I realized that my dream of becoming a veterinarian could only come to fruition if I pursued my education elsewhere, which resulted in my transferring to Diablo Valley College, and moving back home. Returning to my hometown sparked an interest to volunteer at my local Humane Society, to gain experience in helping animals, if only to provide refuge and affection.

Although I have only recently begun to volunteer, the amount of passion and dedication within the organization has given me a greater appreciation for the people who work for the wellbeing of animals. The Humane Society of the North Bay's mission statement of providing a public sentiment of kindness towards animals has only further encouraged me to pursue my goals; beyond the enthusiastic lifelong love for animals, I realize that as a veterinarian I will have the potential to have a positive impact on people, as well as their beloved pets.
DeppX 6 / 15 2  
Although I have only recently begun to volunteer, the amount of passion and dedication within the organization has given me a greater appreciation for the people who work for the wellbeing of animals.

You could rephrase the sentence and make it into two sentence ..

As I attended Dominican University of California, I realized that my dream of becoming a veterinarian could only come to fruition if I pursued my education elsewhere, which resulted in my transferring to Diablo Valley College, and moving back home.

same here doesn't sound good .. make two sentence out of it ...

Home / Undergraduate / I was constantly surrounded by the pets ; UC Personal Statement- Intended Major