'consumer's subconscious' - Psychology and Business; Cornell Supplement

katev 18 / 120 24  
College of Arts and Sciences:
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study. (500 words max)

My friends never fail to tell me that I read too much into things. I never fail to tell them that they are only taking things at face value. Where they see a catchy commercial, I see a genius attempt to persuade the a consumer's subconscious. After taking a step back and analyzing this habit of mine, I realized that all of my previous life experiences could culminate with two fields: psychology and business.

When I first decided to pursue/give in to my naturally curious tendencies, I was unable, as my high school no longer offered a psychology course. However, when I had the opportunity my senior year, I joined the Online School for Girls, which offered an AP Psychology course. I was thrown into a completely online world focusing on a completely new subject.

As I grew acclimated to this new and challenging class style, I also grew to love Psychology. The vast wealth of knowledge that this online course has offered me leads me to want to push myself even further. The way psych... I would love to expand my understanding of psychology through Cornell University's Psychology major.

Cornell's extensive academic opportunities would allow me to pursue not only my interest in psychology, but also my interest in business. The option to pursue majors and minors in more than one field has always been a factor in my college search, as I am not certain about my academic major. While my love for psychology has flourished with my choice to take an online course, it was my experience interning with a local successful bakery owner that peaked my interest in business.

Coming from a family of businessmen, an interest in business has always been prevalent throughout my life. My mother created her own flower business in California, my grandfather created a successful airplane parts company that my father now runs, and my aunt was the first woman publisher at Time, Life, then People magazine. I attempted to follow in their footsteps from a young age. I held lemonade stands on sunny summer days, and made homemade dog treats and sold them around my neighborhood. However, it was not until my experience with Kat Gordon, owner of Muddy's Bake Shop, that I really became interested in majoring in business. Her unique approach at entrepreneurship led me to see a true connection between psychology and business. When you walk into her bakery, you feel as if you are walking into someone's home. Drawings from the customers hang on the wall, and board games and puzzles cover the coffee tables. Kat Gordon undoubtedly had the zaniest staff and the happiest customers in all of Memphis. As she taught me the ins and outs of her business, it was the little things she did such as not making the icing colors too bright so kids wouldn't completely ruin their clothes with food dye that brought me to see how she saw her customers: her family. Kat Gordon always kept in mind the feelings of her customers. Her compassion as a business owner made me realize just how valuable pursuing both psychology and business would be. Although the two fields do not necessarily go hand in hand, I hope to harmonize these two academic interests of mine throughout four years at Cornell University.

**this is an old essay that I'm re-writing to fit Cornell. There are some unfinished thoughts, but in order to include more about Cornell I have to take out some things first. What can I get rid of or shorten?**
Ahndrahdee 2 / 6  
When I first decided to pursue/give in to my naturally curious tendencies, I was unable, as my high school no longer offered a psychology course. However, when I had the opportunity my senior year, I joined the Online School for Girls, which offered an AP Psychology course. I was thrown into a completely online world focusing on a completely new subject. As I grew acclimated to this new and challenging class style, I also grew to love Psychology. The vast wealth of knowledge that this online course has offered me leads me to want to push myself even further.

Though my school no longer offered psychology, I jumped at the opportunity to take AP Psychology from the Online School for Girls. that class opened a new realm of psychological understanding. After acclimating to the new style of learning, my passion for psychology grew; the new information arousing a deeper drive/thirst for knowledge.

thats all i got /:

Home / Undergraduate / 'consumer's subconscious' - Psychology and Business; Cornell Supplement