I continue to push myself harder every day; Stanford: intellectual vitality

Africa 1 / 1  
Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development.
Moving to the United States may have been the best thing that has happened to me thus far. Since I have moved here, I have been presented with so many opportunities; the greatest opportunity being: learning at a school like Ursuline Academy. At Ursuline, I am surrounded by hardworking and motivated girls who strive for nothing below perfection. Their academic habits are contagious, and after being in this environment for only one and a half years, my grades have definitely improved and it has given me a more competitive edge. With teachers who are so obviously passionate about what they are teaching, I have developed greater interest in subjects I was not performing well in before. My attitude towards school is definitely one of my most noticeable changes. I have become more positive and I continue to push myself harder every day. Although adjusting to a new country was difficult, I am glad I was able to quickly catch the Ursuline academic spirit which has helped me become a well-rounded individual.

be brutal!!! I am aware it's not Stanford material, I need all the help i can get
Grltwinz 2 / 7  
What you wrote is pretty general, I think. Maybe you'd want to consider writing about one of your specific experiences and exactly how it changed you, for example, making you realize the importance of details in an academic research or something.

I hope my advice is of some help!
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

You are correct. This is not what Stanford is looking for at all. What they want to see is how something....anything really sparked an interest in you. How did you run with the idea/experience. For example, your first flight on a plane intrigued you and you went home and started to study all aspects of aviation. How did tht experience change the way you apprached learning or your pursuit of other interests. Tell us about your Ah-Hah! moment. Try to make this about a non-school related event if at all possible. - Admissions Advice Online

Hope this helps.
ChristianB 5 / 22 1  
I agree with the other two. Maybe start with an anecdote about a certain event, and show me how this has helped you "become a well-rounded individual." as you say. Remember SHOW not TELL. Trust me, I know how difficult this is, but it's very necessary! Good luck! Please re-post after you've edited :)

Will you read my UNC supplement? I'm submitting it in a couple hours!

Home / Undergraduate / I continue to push myself harder every day; Stanford: intellectual vitality