Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

My contributions in helping the world/ my quality, talent

michellehoaang 2 / 2  
Hello editors. I just edited my personal statement, and want some critiques/ feedback on how to improve it more, or a reassurance if it's good enough :). Thank you for your time. Much appreciated :D.

"Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?"

Upon the four years that I have attended high school, I joined a club on campus called Interact. Little did I know that this club will change my life and perspective of the world. When I went to the first meeting they had, the introduction of what Interact was did not seem so appealing to me. Community service and volunteering at events? That's it? However, that was my mere perspective of what it really was. As I became a more active member and volunteering at events in the community, I have learned the true meaning of Interact, which was giving back to communities and providing aid around the world. It has helped me progress more as a better person and taught me qualities that I did not know existed inside of me. I have never been so interested with my participation in school clubs and my service to others as I have been these past three and a half years. I became an active member for the first two years of high school, and had the honor of being an officer for my junior and senior year.

Interact has became such a big inspiration in my life to help others, not just in my community but as well as foreign countries. Each year, the Interact club completes at least two community service projects, one of which supplements international understanding and goodwill. My family, coming from a low-economic social class, I have always wanted to have more, but being part of the club, I discovered there are more people in the world who are much less fortunate. I became more appreciative and grateful of everything I owned and wanted to give back to others. I was able to by contributing with many projects including Hydraid, which solely through Interact, was able to raise $80,000 as well as $70,000 for End Polio Now. This year, I have the honorary to contribute in helping raise funds and awareness for ShelterBox. It is an international disaster relief charity that will provide aid to families stricken by the tragic catastrophe around the world.

The retreats I have attended sharpened my leadership skills to help guide others in making the world a better place. With that, I am able to lead other members to help contribute back to society and uphold their responsibilities. With my active participation in the club, it has molded me into being a better person and has taught me qualities about myself. I have acquired personal integrity, hard work, demonstrated being helpful, along with leadership skills are just the few that have been accustomed to me because of my contributions through Interact. The events that I have shared with my peers have allowed me to experience things that I would not have been able to experience on my own. I wanted to help out whichever way I can and make a difference in people's lives. I realized with the compassion I have grasped in helping others, I can make a difference in the community and around the world with just a full heart, even with an empty-hand. Continuing to be a part of the Interact Club is an accomplishment that has given me many opportunities, and has showed me ways that I can go out into the world to help the millions of people affected in society.

Home / Undergraduate / My contributions in helping the world/ my quality, talent