2011 Cornell A&S Supplement Essay

loveofacademic 1 / -  
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study.

I am standing on the edge of a 20 story building under a salmon colored sky. An epic clash between "don't do it" and "do it" commences in my head. The dissonance in my brain was too much to take. I jump. The air begins to rush past me and my stomach seems to be going through contortions. I brace myself as the ground grows exponentially closer, preparing my body for the pain of the impact. I close my eyes as a dull pain encompasses my entire body. "Well that was fun," I say to myself as I wipe the dust off my shirt. This was my first lucid dream, and the beginning of my fascination with the workings of the mind.

"To be, or not to be," that is not the question. What concerns me is what "being" means. Everyday, an organ the size of our fists surpasses all known technology, dictates our decisions, and separates humans from other inferior species. The lucid dream I had in sophomore year opened the doors to new realities. If I could become ruler of the universe when I close my eyes, what else can my mind accomplish? I began watching university lectures on a multitude of psychological topics. How could a person believe that their closest friends and family have been replaced by impostors? As these new questions arose, a new drive inside of me to discover the answers grew. I decided to take psychology but soon noticed that this subject affected all areas. In English class, Orwell and Huxley created worlds based on psychological manipulation. History and government showed me the influence of words and advertisement. The chemical structures of the mind were explored in chemistry class. It was everywhere I looked, and I could not get enough of it.

I continue to watch lectures on YouTube, but I want to be on the other side of the screen. I want to be in Cornell, learning from the best professors in the nation. With about 13,000 undergraduate students, 800 club organizations, and 80 majors, there is no doubt in my mind that I will find people with similar interests who will help me unlock my true potential. The multifaceted courses available at Cornell provide me with the opportunity to not only take psychology, but also neurobiology, astronomy, and a plethora of interesting subjects in a way that other liberal arts schools can only imagine. This educational system allows me to find my niche and focus in on it by choosing specialized classes. It might even awaken dormant passions that could have gone unnoticed. Whether I continue my journey in psychology or change major, Cornell has superior academics that will help me succeed in any field. It will change my ideas, my way of thinking, my perception, and thus, my reality.

What do you guys think?
arbrelibre 5 / 27  
Really very strong! I love your opening-- it's magnificent. There isn't anything I'd change. One thing though (this is subjective)-- my teacher always taught me to write out my numbers until they reached seventy. I know this is a bit random, but it's just a tip because I really can't think of anything else LOL. In terms of answering the prompt-- are you going in an undecided major? You aren't very clear with what major you are targeting when answering this prompt, however that's not really that big of a deal.

Good luck with you application to Cornell!

Mind looking over my Feminism essay?
workinprogress 1 / 12  
This is very beautiful. You are a great writer and I barely have any critiques! The only thing that I was iffy on, was the part where you started listing the numbers of undergraduates clubs and such. It is not a bad thing of course, it shows that you took interest in researching their school. I just personally feel that maybe there is no need to list things? Also, the sentence where you mentioned taking psychology class seemed a bit broad and out of place. Nonetheless, your work is amazing and beautiful. You deserve a spot at Cornell. Best of luck!
Mureille - / 18  
Really good, really strong. I agree with the previous responses, those numbers seemed kinda iffy being in the essay. This almost made me jealous. I too barely have any critiques on this amazing essay.
Max8 1 / 3  
I love the first sentence. Grabs the readers attention. This essay is very strong. Best of luck loveofacademic.

Home / Undergraduate / 2011 Cornell A&S Supplement Essay