Cornell Architecture essay: How my interests combine

archii 2 / 3  
Why are you excited to pursue your chosen major in AAP? What specifically about AAP and Cornell University will help you fulfill your academic and creative interests and long-term goals? (Please limit your response to 650 words.)

I might not have realized it a few years ago, but I have prepared my whole life for a future in architecture. One of my top priorities is preserving our Earth. My friends call me a "vegetarian tree-hugger," as I always push them to carpool from cross country practices, utilize reusable water bottles, and participate in Meatless Monday. Through architecture, sustainable design can be achieved physically, and I would be honored to be a part of that movement.

As a multifaceted individual, I have always had a broad scope of hobbies. Several years ago, I found a community of sites hosted by a virtual pet website. Through countless hours of trial and error, I was able to establish my own, functional website from scratch after studying code from tutorials and other sites' page sources. This was the beginning of my investment in computer science.

Surprisingly, my newly created sites were met with success! After several years, my sites, named __ and __, collectively displayed over 1000 graphics, including premade layouts and pixel art, and received over 160,000 page views. It was the artistic content and excellent service of my sites that led them to eminence. I provided "layout requests," by which other site owners (who were perhaps unequipped with coding or layout-designing abilities) asked me for customized layouts for their own websites. When my "customers" were satisfied, I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. I realize now that fulfilling those requests have made a lasting impact far greater than acquiring the ability to code and create graphic art: I want to help others bring their imaginations and vision to reality. Architecture is unquestionably a means of fulfilling this goal, as I would turn ideas into occupiable structures.

Architecture also excites me because I am an avid artist. Drawing is my most prominent hobby, one from which I find the most exclusive of comforts: nothing beats the satisfaction of completing a piece that I've put so much thought and observation into. Drawing is like a growing plot in a fictional novel-at first the foundation is laid, and as more details emerge and build upon each other, a wonderful piece of art is created, resonating in my mind forever. Like how I used my artistic Photoshop skills to make graphics for my websites, I want to incorporate my artistic talents into my academic endeavors.

When I recently visited cities such as Pittsburgh, Boston, and New York City, I observed how the dynamics in architecture create the distinct moods of different locations. I.M. Pei once said, "Life is architecture, and architecture is the mirror of life"; I couldn't agree more. My concern for the environment, strengths computer science, dream of bring ideas to reality, and devotion to drawing can be combined into the medley of architecture. Architecture fascinates me because it defines our surroundings on both a technological and aesthetic level; architecture has always had a timeless emphasis in art and design, but now, it is increasingly environmentally-conscious and computerized in design.

Cornell University's distinguished architecture program will push me to my highest potential. The rigorous 5-year Bachelor of Architecture degree with an architecture-majority courseload would prepare me with the skills, discipline, and knowledge to become a licensed architect. I realize the intensity of the program, but I feel confident enough to pursue it; I've prepared for Cornell's rigor through working at challenging summer internships at the Air Force Research Laboratory and pulling all-nighters to finish art projects I was so engrossed in. In addition, I'm excited to bring into the program my diverse scope of skills and experiences, specifically in computer science, graphic design, and drawing.

As I walked through the studios of Sibley, learned about Cornell in Rome, and spoke with the talented Julian Pulacio, I was inspired by the spirit of Cornell's architecture department. In the studio, I observed the bustling of undergraduates and the impressive work laid out on desks; I sensed the dedication, felt a rush of comfort, and thought, I see myself here. My life is an architectural arcade: each column and arch represents my experiences, hobbies, and hopes, and together, they are leading me down the path to architecture at Cornell.
dreamhigh 1 / 6  
Oh..my god...I can see your passion for aarchitecture. .Urs essay is real contrast from mine since I emphasize on AAP. In your essay, I think may be if u add more about Cornell architecture program which attracts you. Architecture In Rome is what a lot write about and interest about. If u use common application, add your interest about architecture on first 1 prompt. .:)..so u can add more about Cornell. ..Remember there are a lot of crazy architecture kids who apply AAP.. your passion ...their passion. ..a little more about adding about Cornell University will make your essay perfect. .great essay my rival. .hak hak..kidding. .
OP archii 2 / 3  
thank you so much! My common app essay is all about figure drawing. I don't think i have room for architecture there :( And as much as I want to talk about my interest in Cornell, I find it hard to not simply repeat information from pamphlets or their website. It's a struggle.

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell Architecture essay: How my interests combine