Cornell Arts and Sciences Supp - the ability to combine my interests in biology and research

brookedelprete 2 / 1  

Cornell Arts and Sciences Supp

Just a few months ago, I waited anxiously as a vial of Drosophila Melanogaster was delivered to the steps of my high school. To an outsider, a fruit fly delivery may not seem too exciting, but for an aspiring biological researcher, it was quite thrilling. After hours of reading the Drosophila Care Manual, I knew exactly what to do to maintain their survival. But it seemed the more I prepared, the more nervous I became.

Throughout high school, I have taken nearly every science course in the building. Never in my time during countless biology, chemistry or physics courses had I ever been nervous, not even before grade-defining midterms or AP tests. I was always prepared; I knew my memory and study skills were enough to ace any test. But it dawned on me that I had not been nervous because there was never anything life-altering at stake. It seemed like if I could not keep the fruit flies healthy, I would never be equipped to perform biological research.

But as time progressed, my worries faded. I became exceedingly comfortable in the lab. I had no problem keeping the flies alive; it was merely a first step to the exciting work I am doing.

My career goals include only biological research. I have an undeniable passion for biology and an unwavering desire to discover. Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences gives me the ability to combine my interests in biology and research!

I would be grateful to study from all of Cornell's professors, but to study those who share my passion for biological research is the driving force behind my interest in Cornell. I want to meet professors such as Linda Nicholson, to pick her brain about protein dynamics and their implications on Alzheimer's disease, and Daniel Barbash, to discuss how animals develop, evolve and form new species, and Carl Batt, to ask about the role of therapeutic agents in combating cancer. Learning my role models would be an honor and a privilege, that I could only experience at Cornell.

If I am lucky enough to receive admission, I plan to major in biological sciences with a concentration on biochemistry. I will take courses focused on understand the inner workings of cells, such as BIOMG 4450 "Stem Cells and Regeneration", CHEM 7880 "Structural Methods in Biochemistry", and BIOMG 4880, "Cancer Genetics." In addition to understanding complex ideas, the courses will also teach me skills necessary for my future in biological research, like x-ray crystallography and electron microscopy.

I would also love take BIOMG 1320 "Orientation Lectures in Molecular Biology and Genetics," a course where six Cornell professors simply discuss their research. The way Cornell integrates research into a formal teaching setting is truly amazing. This course would not only pique my curiosity but also allow me to gain insight on what my future career field entails.

In addition to the incomparable academic and career opportunities at Cornell, I also love the campus. From the breathtaking waterfalls and historic architecture to the welcoming students and acclaimed faculty, I couldn't imagine a better place to spend the next four years.
nyangi - / 2 1  
If this is for early, my feedback might be too late...
I think that rather than naming and describing each of these courses, you could focus more on creating a cohesive idea of what you would like to do with what you learn at Cornell. Like if you have a specific goal or field of study in mind, you could talk about that. Also, the A&S prompt asks specifically about why the flexibility of the curriculum is ideal for you, so you should also address that.

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell Arts and Sciences Supp - the ability to combine my interests in biology and research