Cornell (CAS// BOOKS)

mk415 5 / 4  
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the CAS to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study.

Ever since I was little, my parents had the sheer necessity to surround me with books. It was as almost as if my parents believed that the scent of history bound literature could accelerate the process of my childhood. And if that didn't work, the smell of Starbuck's coffee surely would.

The countless hours confined in that institution of books rather gave me the first taste of independence and formed the foundation for which I plan to pursue for the rest of my life. Little did I know then as I roamed from one aisle to another, exploring what my surroundings had to offer, that Barnes & Nobles' aisle division of fiction and nonfiction represented the microcosm of the world in its possibilities and facts. Not surprisingly, my early observations of the divided world of literature sparked my interests in theory and practicality and fortified my interests in economics and international affairs. I found my niche and passion for the economic world inside a classroom first, outside a classroom second.

My economically- illiterate eyes overlooked the economic section that dealt with GDP, unemployment until my senior year in high school. The blurs and numbers became meaningful, and I could come up with conclusions of how the world economy stands today. Through the eyes of a reader, I regarded the ideas of Adam Smith, Keynes, and Ben Benarke with enthusiasm. And now through the eyes of an aspiring economist, I see myself responding back to those same ideas by building a stronger global economy through my understanding of managing social services, capital, or budget.

What I find most appealing about Cornell students is their accessibility to learn practically as well as theoretically in the College of Arts and Sciences. Due to the array of liberal arts education that CAS provides, I can expand on Cornell's theory of "any person...any study" by practically minoring in International relations and double majoring in history. As I venture a possible double major of economics and history, I'm particularly eager to interact with the experienced researcher and professor of history ChenJian to learn his insight into US-China and Asia Pacific relations and further develop my understandings of US international relations. I'm also aware of the availability of many other esteemed professors who are actively involved in outreach programs and I plan on taking full advantage of this opportunity.

In addition, I view College of Arts and Sciences' generous research opportunities and prospect of studying abroad as a plus to better understanding and expanding my study of the global economy. After being accustomed to the institution of books, I believe nothing cries out 'opportunity' better than being surrounded by it. Aspiring to dream, I see myself passing by steps of Goldwin Smith Hall heading toward the aisles of the Cornell University Library to browse over what life has to offer. If I happen to have a Starbucks coffee in one hand, it is by no means, a coincidence.

The countless hours I spent confined in that institution of books rather gave me my first taste of independence and formed the foundation for which I plan to pursue for the rest of my intellectual life.

...

My economically illiterate eyes overlooked the economic ...

AndNow, through the eyes of an aspiring economist, I see myself responding back to those same ideas of building a stronger global economy through my understanding of managing social services, capital, or budget.

In addition, I view College of Arts and Sciences' generous research opportunities and prospect of studying abroad as an advantage as I expand my study of the global economy.
zowzow 10 / 175  
hahahahahaha you do realise kevin, you made the almost EXACT same points as Constance?

I guess it shows how good you guys are lol

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell (CAS// BOOKS)