Cornell U. College of Arts and Sciences suppl. essay.

NeedHelpQuick 1 / 1  
[i]Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests , intended majors, or fields of study. (Maximum 500 words)"

Here's my essay; please check it and provide brutal and constructive feedback within next two hours.

My intimacy with physics began while I was still in junior school. My father had a substantial collection of popular physics books at home and since I loved to read everything that came my way they were some of the first books I read. Understandably, I comprehended little, nevertheless, those early encounters gave me an agreeable taste of the subject. It was only when I was in the seventh grade, however, that I discovered my passion for physics; that year I studied Rydniks' "ABC's of Quantum Mechanics ". As I read about the birth and development of Quantum Mechanics I felt myself blend into the narrative as if I myself was living in those times and making those discoveries and helping to bring about that revolution --- it was then that I decided that I would actually be part of the process; that I would be a physicist.

Little did I realize then that I was committing adultery, for unbeknownst to me, my heart had already developed deep affection for mathematics. My serious acquaintance with it began much later than that with physics; when in the sixth grade I was introduced to Algebra and was instantly fascinated by it; that same year I also studied Boolean Logic and computer hardware and Assembly language due to an intellectual competition that I had entered into with a cousin who had just started her "Bachelor of Computer Applications" course --- she conceded that I had won; I accept now that I had lost --- but my love of mathematics grew after that. I did not have access to advanced books in mathematics then, thus, I began experimenting with polynomials and equations by myself and managed to develop quite a bit of he standard theory on my own. It was in the beginning of my eighth grade, however, that I became really passionate about mathematics --- I completed a textbook of higher secondary Calculus in a month --- and for the first time I felt a deep sense of achievement and pride. It was then that I realized that I wanted to be a mathematician. It was only when I was in the ninth grade however, that I met what is now my favorite mathematics topic --- Number Theory.

It is thus my greatest wish to pursue double majors in mathematics and physics from the College of Arts and Sciences at Cornell University. With it's unrestrained research opportunities, dedicated faculty and varied platter of minors (esp: the informal minor ) the College of Arts and Sciences is the perfect school to prepare me for the next great breakthrough while not alienating me from my other interests.
Liebe 1 / 542 2  

^i assume its too late?
Trix Zeta - / 1  
This looks very honest.I'm impressed.You sound like a normally dishonest boy.
Cornell Univ. College is said to give a lot of time to go over the applications.
What you need to mention more specifically is your achievements in several recognised competitions or examinations, not just homely ones.
You need to get in through SAT, and will face an interview in all probability.
It would help if you have some original work at hand.
Overall--try to make it seem as though you have a bit more knowledge than just two or three topics, mention you have delved a lot, but specialized in Number Theory, and also prove it.

Good luck!!!

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell U. College of Arts and Sciences suppl. essay.