Cornell Supplement -- Being a doctor, and everything else

serendipityyy 1 / 3  
Cornell's Arts & Sciences: Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study. (Major: Biological sciences) Help editing and suggestions? thanks!

The scalpel was poised over a patch of bare skin, gleaming under the harsh fluorescent lights. The blade penetrated through the flesh, and I watched as a pair of hands reached into the cavity and took out a beating, pulsating heart. I must've been at least seven years old, sitting by the television. I'll never forget the look of disgust on my mother's face while I watched the events on the screen unfold, fascinated. She scolded, but I was too mesmerized to even notice. At that age, I was convinced I was going to be a doctor. While other children wished for the newest Pokémon game for Christmas, I dreamed about a doctor's kit with a gleaming stethoscope and fresh syringe.

As I grew older, the world seemed to grow bigger as well. All of a sudden, there were other possibilities-I could be a teacher, writer, or even astronaut! When I took English classes, I fell in love with the intricate process of finding the perfect words to convey my ideas. When I learned about French, I wanted to enrich myself in their language and culture. When I took a multivariable calculus class, I found myself eagerly trying to solve three-dimensional optimization problems. Everything fascinated me, and I couldn't find a way to absorb it all.

This isn't to say my heart doesn't still belong with biological sciences. It always has, and it always will. Taking AP Biology helped me realize the intricacies of life-the way one small mutation could alter the entire life of an organism, the way animals instinctively know certain movements, and the way their minds work so precisely and accurately. It showed me a deeper side of biology I hadn't known before, and I found myself entranced by the infinite amount of knowledge I had yet to acquire. In the past summer, I researched at a neuroscience lab in The City College of New York. Perhaps what intrigued me the most was how one small conglomerated mass of neurons has the ability to control every single aspect of life. The way neurons work without even touching each other, the way they fire signals, and the way they control our lives so precisely and accurately-I was enthralled, and I wanted to learn more.

Although the idea of becoming a doctor still resonates within me, the world has become far too big of a place for me to be certain at this moment. Science is my passion-that I know for sure. But so is English, and calculus, and sociology, and even philosophy! With Cornell University's College of Arts and Sciences, I know I'll be given the versatility to explore my interests in order to cultivate my own path towards success. And no matter what I decide to do in my life, I'll always be that girl who's fascinated by all she sees, unable to turn her eyes away from what the world has to offer.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

Great essay. The only things that you should change/remove is "She scolded, but I was too mesmerized to even notice." It seems a bit out of place. Secondly, I would talk more about one resource at Cornell that you anticipate yourself using. It could be a club, a research program...anything. Otherwise, your essay is smooth, clean and very reader friendly. It gives introspective into your desires and why the flexibility of Cornell's CAS curriculum will benefit you. Good job.

AAO/express

Hope This Helps
OP serendipityyy 1 / 3  
thanks! where should I add the additional Cornell information so that it doesn't seem out of place?

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell Supplement -- Being a doctor, and everything else