Cornell A&S Supplement: Economics & Management Passion

thes1tuation 3 / 4  
Cornell is my first choice, and I would absolutely love to go there. Please be harsh on my essay, it will probably determine whether or not I get in due to my borderline stats.

My major is applied economics and management
How have your interests and related experiences influenced your selection of major?

It was my first time drinking Snapple in a month. I decided to allow myself to have unlimited Snapple for one day. Why? It was just one of my silly experiments. After I drank five or so bottles I vowed to never drink Snapple again. Why? The first Snapple tasted awesome, but the sixth tasted like sour milk. Although I did not realize it at the time, this was my first encounter with economics: Diminishing Marginal Utility.

It took me seven years to realize this connection, but it changed my perspective of school and business: I found school is relevant and it can be applied to life. I now use economics and calculus to maximize profit for my business, ComputaCure, - using derivatives of cost and profit functions. I now use economics to test elasticity between businesses and home users, and I use this data to price my services at ComputaCure. I now use economic indicators and econometrics to make stock picks. My passion for economics continued to blossom, and economics became applicable to more than just my business and finances. I found that economics explains the hidden side of everything. For example, I found the Impact of Roe v. Wade on crime rates in the nineties. Economics was everywhere I looked, and I could not satisfy my appetite for it.

Not only was my passion for economics growing, my passion for entrepreneurship was as well. After I founded ComputaCure I started to brainstorm ideas - from biotech companies to simple mobile applications - and read Biographies on Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, and Jeff Bozos. I felt an urge to start a new corporation, but I decided that I was not ready. I still need the right education, team, and education, and that is where Cornell's Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management comes in.

Firstly, I will learn everything I need to know to become an entrepreneur at Cornell. I will be able to take classes on pre-startup skills to management theory, which will allow me garner the knowledge necessary to create a company and manage it successfully. Additionally, I will find the right team at Cornell. It will not be a hassle to find the numbers guys, looking at profit margin, and the creative guys, looking at aesthetics of products, and synergize them. Finally, Cornell will offer the opportunities that will allow me to work on a start-up while continuing my education. With programs such as the Cornell Venture Challenge, Big Idea Challenge, and Advanced Materials Enabled Innovation Competition I will have all the resources necessary to create the next hot start-up.
zmj7706 3 / 9  
I like your opening to relate economics concept to daily life. Maybe due to my lack of knowledge, I did not get how your example showed that "economics explain[ed] the hidden side of everything". I do not understand the following "I found that economics explains the hidden side of everything. For example, I found the Impact of Roe v. Wade on crime rates in the nineties."

You have mentioned "education" twice in the following sentence, do you want to emphasis on it or is it a typo? "but I decided that I was not ready. I still need the right education, team, and education"

I hope it would help some.
OP thes1tuation 3 / 4  
That was a typo. It should be I still need the right education, team, and opportunities. Do you have any idea how I could create a closing paragraph. I want to hook it back to the starting and talk about economics as a hard science without a control group. Would that be possible, or would the essay be too rigid? Any ideas on how to go about doing that?
zmj7706 3 / 9  
I'm sorry that I do not have any idea on how to create a closing paragraph. I think you showed your passion for economics clearly. I'm sorry that I could not help any further.

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell A&S Supplement: Economics & Management Passion