Cornell engineering essay-- Why being an engineer appeals to me

postscript94 5 / 14  
College of Engineering:
Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest.

(I'm not sure what word to put in the blank)

Before discovering the field of engineering I was certain I wanted to become a doctor. From volunteering at JFK Medical Hospital to helping out at a local adult day care center, helping people has always been something I've enjoyed and I believed being a doctor was the best way I could accomplish this goal. That is, until I was introduced to the possibilities of gene therapy at a summer program at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. At the Summer Science Scholar's Program I worked with two other students to create a hypothetical clinical trial for a treatment for x-linked severe combined immunodeficiency syndrome, otherwise known as x-scid. This disease usually results in an early death and there is little hope for those diagnosed. As we researched possible treatments for this extremely rare and deadly disease we came across germ-line gene therapy, which we believed could prove effective. Using medical journals and information from previous attempts to treat this disease we developed a treatment plan which involved genetic manipulation of the faulty ligand in the sex cell. We hypothesized that the use of germ-line gene therapy as opposed to somatic gene therapy could possibly eradicate x-scid altogether. Unfortunately we could only discuss this idea in theory due to a lack of facilities and degrees in biological engineering.

With the vast opportunities available at Cornell University I hope to expand my knowledge and grasp of the engineering field enough so that I can someday implement my own solutions and ideas. At Cornell not only will I have the advantage of a strong curriculum but I will also be able to apply my knowledge through realistic applications. Through the co-op program, study abroad program and numerous research opportunities, and organizations such as Engineers Without Borders I will make my knowledge useful to the average person. Also Cornell's minor in biomedical engineering would expose me to the numerous possibilities available in the field of medicine and engineering. A large engineering program means numerous state of the art facilities, a myriad of research opportunities in all fields of engineering, and a broader understanding. Being able to apply my knowledge and knowing that I can start to make a difference while still pursuing my undergraduate degree is exciting. Engineers find solutions; they create; they make a difference. I too would like to be an engineer.
silentspring 12 / 58  
Your essay shows that you are very knowledgeable about Cornell. And your rich medical experience will sure interests the school.

By the way, are you using the primary or alternate admission option?
OP postscript94 5 / 14  
thank you! does it seem cliche or boring though?
and engineering is my primary option
insanesoul81994 10 / 30  
First off, great essay! Just one suggestion I have to make it flow more smoothly in the beginning.
"...helping people has always been something I have enjoyed. I believed being a doctor was the best way I could accomplish this goal until I was introduced to the possibilities of gene therapy at a summer program at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School."

Hope this helps and good luck!
deremifri 9 / 137  
I do not know if this helps you, but I personally think that you should explain your change in more detail since it begins and ends suddenly.

Other than that good job.

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell engineering essay-- Why being an engineer appeals to me