Cornell Hotel Management Essay

JakeK812 3 / 6  
Hi guys. Obviously I don't have time to change much so I really just want my grammar and spelling checked. Also this essay as it stands is EXACTLY 500 words, so if you think I should ass one let me know if there's one I can remove. Thanks for your help!

What work and non-work experiences, academic interests, and career goals influenced your decision to study hospitality management? How will these contribute to your success at the School of Hotel Administration?

Throughout my life I've had the opportunity to stay at some fantastic hotels around the world. The Lanesborough Hotel in London, the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Amman, the Four Seasons Lodge at Koele in Lana'I, and the El Conquistador in Puerto Rico are just a few of many examples. My experiences at these locations have left me incredibly interested in the ways that hotels run. As such studying at the School of Hotel Administration is something I would love to do.

The attention to service that all these Hotels provide is fascinatingly meticulous. The Lanesborough in particular is a great example. The Lanesborough seems to remember every thing about all their guests. Upon returning to the Lanesborough they remember your name, what newspapers you like, what you like to have in your room, and so many other tiny details. The fact that each floor has butlers also shows extreme attention to their customer's needs. Seeing all this taught me an appreciation of such practices. Having a customer be taken care of so carefully justifies the high prices to the consumer and ensures customer loyalty.

The way the Lanesborough came into existence is an inspiring story of genius business practice. The building that became the hotel was originally a hospital; in fact, the breakfast room used to be a morgue. Picking this location was an innovative idea that paid off greatly. After the renovations you would have never known the building's origins if they didn't advertise it. This shows the value in having an open mind to what's possible, particularly when it comes to getting the location you need.

Location is key in running a hotel, particularly those of resort hotels. The Grand Hyatt in Aman brilliantly chose to build a pool on the roof. At first this may seem like a fairly standard decision, but it becomes so much more when you realize that the pool they built features an excellent view of the nearby Grand Mosque. The El Conquistador in Puerto Rico was built right next to the ocean, making for a gorgeous view and countless entertainment opportunities.

The Lodge at Koele, in Hawaii, was particularly interesting for the location they chose. Despite that they could have built the hotel by the beach, as seems to be the logical decision for a Hawaiian resort, they choose to build the hotel in an unspectacular mountain. They managed to turn this location into a positive however, delivering something very unique by providing something that Hawaii isn't otherwise known for This allowed them to stand out from the countless beach resorts in Hawaii.

I feel that these experiences have taught me much about what makes for a smart decision in hotel management. At the very least, I know the value of service and I know the value of location. Also I have a bit of a legacy in the hotel business, my Grandfather owned a hotel and as such I also know a significant amount about the day-to-day operations of a hotel.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
run.

interested in how hotels run
As such,
About the hotel, maybe mention staff* at Lanesborough

customer loyalty.

haha. maybe satisfaction?

This shows the value in having an open mind to what's possible, particularly when it comes to getting the location you need.

I don't see the point much in this paragraph. and it's somewhat informal~the you. the next paragraph is also about hotel location. I dont see YOU much in this essay.

They managed to turn this location into a positive however, delivering something very unique by providing something that Hawaii isn't otherwise known for This allowed them to stand out from the countless beach resorts in Hawaii.

runs on :/

Comments: yes, you do say what you learn, but it's minimal about yourself and what you gained...other than it's important to have great service/location. you also didn't really mention hospitality management, whatever that is. grammar isn't bad, some are great sentences. overall, interesting points, but you need to expound more about how they contribute to your future success...good luck~

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell Hotel Management Essay