Cornell ILR supplement: passion for efficiency

sean111 4 / 6  
School of Industrial and Labor Relations: Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. In your essay please address how the ILR curriculum will help you fulfill these interests and your long-term goals.

In retrospect, the idea of efficiency fascinated me from an early age. Mundane, yet essential tasks such as washing up in the morning and completing household chores were always mental assignments as much as they were physical ones. I realized that the order and manner of execution were the keys to minimizing the time and effort required for work.

This mentality of efficiency became subconscious as I involved it into everything I did. When my burgeoning desire for pocket money was obstructed by age restrictions, I would beg my parents for a ride to the video store where I could buy discounted games, only to resell them at another store. As a result, I would walk away doubling my otherwise stagnant wallet. After doing this a few times, I was startled when I realized I enjoyed the process of reselling games as much as I did playing them. The proposition of maximizing my productivity within my constraints was exhilarating, and more importantly, fulfilling. There was an immediate sense of cause and effect, wherein my reward was the result of my efficiency.

As I aged and my school workload inevitably swelled, this concept proved to be invaluable. During some of my high school years in particular, a well-orchestrated course of action granted an extra hour of sleep. In addition to shaping my time management skills, high school provided the academic exposure that cemented my interest in efficiency. When I optimized the cost of containers using calculus, I saw the real-world applications behind the work more explicitly than anything I had done before. I would think to myself, "As I solve this problem, somewhere in the world a corporate employee could be doing the same thing." Furthermore, my interest in optimizing cost was extended to the prospect of optimizing work performance within social relations.

As one of my strengths, efficiency is something I know I must exercise in my career to its fullest extent. At the School of Industrial and Labor Relations, I would be learning how to do just that. My passion would enable me to fulfill essential components of the ILR curriculum, such as analyzing data in order to make well-informed decisions that reap the most benefit. More specifically, it would help me to excel in courses concerning economics and resource management. Through it all, there is no other place better suited to nurture my growth. The intellectual and comprehensive environment would provide to me all the resources and motivation to strive.
In retrospect, the idea of efficiency has fascinated me from an early age.

Mundane, yet essential tasks such as washing up in the morning and completing household chores were always mental assignments as much as they were physical ones.---Oh, I feel the same way!

I realized that the order and manner of execution were the keys to minimizing the time and effort required for the work.

This mentality of efficiency became subconscious as I involvedincorporated it into everything I did.

As a result, I would walk away doubling the cash my otherwise stagnant wallet.

There was an immediate sense of cause and effect, wherein my reward was the result of my efficiency.---Also of the good idea you had!

During some of my high school years in particular, a well-orchestrated course of action granted an extra hour of sleep.---I like the way you write!

My passion would enable me to fulfill essential components of the ILR curriculum, such as analyzing data in order to make well-informed decisions that will reap the most benefit.

Through it all, there is no other place better suited to nurture my growth.

:)
jujugo85 3 / 15  
Describe your intellectual interests ,
their evolution ----> how you became interested in these
, and
what makes them exciting to you. ---> why you want to study these or pursue these
In your essay please address how the ILR curriculum will help you fulfill these interests and your long-term goals . ----> why does their school suit you/ yoour goals?

okay, i think your essay is very well written and provides concrete examples to support your claims. However, I do not feel that it answers the prompt directly. I feel as though the "intellectual interests" the prompt refers to are perhaps the majors you are considering ? You address a kind of motivation instead of this. also, you do not address any long-term goals. You mention the "motivation needed to strive," but to strive for what? (obviously in academics, but what is your ultimate goal?) If you are undecided on your major or career, propose options you are considering. Let them know that you have direction. Once you address these, I am sure you'll be fine! Your writing is right on point! :))

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell ILR supplement: passion for efficiency