Cornell "I like money"

jebhogiaye 6 / 14  
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study.

I like making money. For a long time, I believed that business was right for me because my father is an entrepreneur, and his job seemed intriguing because he deals with money. My interest in entrepreneurship grew, and I read multiple books about successful entrepreneurs including Truett Cathy, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates. I aspired to become an entrepreneur like them.

It was after I took an economics class that I discovered the broader subject of economics and my interest was developed. From the outset, I was captivated by economic processes such as price changes, wage differences, and profit margins. Wage differences, for example, are determined by the economic concept of supply. This was astounding because I was unaware that such mundane factors are determined by economics. I came to the realization that economics is virtually ubiquitous. Individuals make choices many times a day that are influenced by economics. For example, the idea of opportunity costs affects my decision to stay awake a few more hours and study for a test rather than sleeping and being rested the next morning when I take the test. My realization of the near universality of economics and my passion for making money made economics my favorite academic class.

I have only taken a semester long economics class, so I would like to learn more about economics and the specific field of economics that I am interested in. And there is so much more to learn in the field of mathematics, so college should prove an enlightening experience. I am also very passionate about math. My propensity for mathematics stems for my interest in problem solving. I find problem solving very interesting to the point that it is fun. I think that combining math and economics would make a great major.

Studying economics at Cornell would be ideal for me because of the broad range of courses available to me. Because I would have two years to choose my major, I can explore the bountiful opportunities available at Cornell like the Special Academic Programs and even different interests like Mathematics and Africana Studies. I could even choose to double major. The fact that I can explore for two years before choosing my major is a boon. I like that each academic adviser advises an average of twelve students, so they can focus their time on ensuring that I make the right decisions. I plan to take advantage of all of the programs made available to me at Cornell to further explore my interests.
karissa_a16 4 / 94  
I found it to be kind of bland honestly. Other than showing your interest in economics, it doesn't say much else about you.
kholmes 3 / 7  
The end felt very rushed, maybe even out half of the essay talking about economics and then the other half talking about how cornell will help you. Is the evolution of your interest only the books? if so explain more what from the books interested
makman09 9 / 86  
You repeat entrepreneurs many times in the intro. Try to use synonyms or condense it a bit.

ubiquitous

Don't use the word. It just looks incoherent with the rest of the essay. Find a simple synonym.

Your ending about how you'll utilize Cornell's resource it too superficial. I seen many students write about it in broad terms. Be more specific about the tools that Cornell has to offer such as you were intrigued by a professor's lecture on his insightful perspective on the market. Tell me how you want to utilize these tools to follow your aspirations.

Overall, your essay didn't impress me. You don't really define well how you came to love economics. All you do is mention concepts about economics, but you don't reflect deeply about them and how they appeal to you.

I hope my advice helps.

I'm also doing an essay for Cornell, but for Human Ecology, can you read my essay and tell me what you think about it?

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell "I like money"