Cornell School of Hotel Administration Essay, How Does It Look So Far? Does It Answer The Question?

maureleus 2 / 2  
The global hospitality industry includes hotel and foodservice management, real estate, finance, entrepreneurship, marketing, technology, and law. Describe what has influenced your decision to study business through the lens of hospitality. What personal qualities make you a good fit for SHA?

small community with big heart

I grew up surrounded by business. My parents were independent people and didn't want to work for others, so they pursued business. They dabbled in fashion, baby products and recently, Chinese medicine. Neither of them went to college, yet their dedication led to them where they are now. I knew that business would be my calling as well.

During the summer before my senior year, I volunteered in meal service at a senior center. Although it wasn't a paid job, my experience at the senior center helped solidify my conviction that business should be both personal and practical. Being able to interact with both people and food made the job, which seemed tedious at first, something that I want to keep doing. That summer, I learned how picky seniors could be: if there wasn't enough gravy, they complained; if there was too much gravy, they complained. However, they deserve every right to be picky. They've lived a long life, each with their own successes and failures. But to make them forget their failures and worries, even if just momentarily, is something that only hospitality can do. What hospitality can do is take a regular moment, a regular dish, a regular day, and transform it into a luxurious experience. By no means am I claiming that I'm capable of accomplishing such a feat, that is simply the end goal. To make the most out of anything-I believe that that is the essence of hospitality and business. It's what my parents had being doing for decades, and it's what I want to do for the decades to come.

Among the schools that I've visited, Cornell enchanted me the most. When the tour guide mentioned that students from the Hotel School were given the opportunity to run the Statler Hotel, I realized that the education SHA provides must be incredible. To be able to run a hotel, even if only for one week, is no easy task. Yet SHA makes it possible. Hotelies are given the opportunities to not only build the foundations required to be a successful entrepreneur, but also to train their culinary skills. Food has long been a passion of mine, and so when I enter the restaurant business, I'll be versed in both cooking and management.

SHA doesn't just stuff lectures into their student's ears: it prepares its students to be on the vanguard of the hospitality industry. With a multitude tantalizing courses, each taught by hospitality genius, in food and beverages, entrepreneurship, and management offered at SHA, it's impossible for me not to apply. Along with the courses offered within the college, we're able to explore our other interests in over 4000 other courses. In addition, the ability to spend over 800 hours actually working in real-world situations ensures that I'll be able to gain valuable work experience while pursuing what I love. The education the Hotel School offers is not only diverse, but also practical. The Hotel School truly prepares its students to succeed immediately after graduation. Yet, with so many opportunities at the school, I wouldn't want to leave in just four years!

Being from a school with only two-hundred students per grade, I'm already accustomed to small communities with big hearts. Smaller community allows each member to better support each other. If I need help at SHA, I'll be able to get help. And likewise, if others need help, I'll be able to give help. I prefer not doing things alone, whether it be working out or wading through the swamp that is the college process. But within SHA, I know that there is a bottomless reservoir full of resources and people that will help me succeed. At SHA, I know that I'll be able to add myself to that reservoir.
jac6198 2 / 4  
well written! Best of luck !
sgassani 7 / 22 5  
@maureleus

I think your writing is good, but I believe you haven't given any answer to the last question that is your personalities that would make you a good fit for SHA. You have done very well in explaining what makes SHA interesting to you though.
Marcus, rather than focusing on explaining why you chose Cornell SHA, you should be explaining what kind of personality you have that makes you a sure bet to become a SHA graduate. I've read about what inspired you to study the hotel and restaurant business. Using the old person's home and their meal time experience was a great touch. I think it is unique in more ways than one. However, your personality as a potential hotel owner isn't coming forth on the page. The reference to your parents always wanting to work for themselves is also not helping to advance your responses in the essay. Basically, you just described the influence upon your decision to study this course and then the rest of your response went off tangent already. Get it back on track. Discuss what your personal qualities are that would make you an excellent SHA student candidate. Talk about more than just your volunteer experience to respond to that prompt. The volunteer experience response only got you so far in the development of your response. You need to delete the review that you made of the university and replace that with the reasons why you think you will succeed at SHA instead. What is the driving force, in terms of your personal character that drove your decision to pick this major? Discuss that in this essay.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

" The ability to spend over 800 hours actually working in real-world situations ensures that I'll be able to gain valuable work experience while pursuing what I love. The education the Hotel School offers is not only diverse, but also practical. "

This is the strongest point of your essay. You need to exploit this. Cornell is well known for their externship and exploratory programs. Provide a solid example of how you envision your practical experience would be. What areas of hotel management would you want to explore or be most interested in. - Admissions Track

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell School of Hotel Administration Essay, How Does It Look So Far? Does It Answer The Question?