Cornell University - intellectual interests and their evolution

mihirmj 12 / 12  
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study.

From the moment I took my first intro to chemistry class with Mr. Sawan, notoriously known as the most intellectually challenging teacher at my school, I knew I had a love for the subject. From acid-base equilibrium and stoichiometry to atomic theory and bonding, I learned more in chemistry than any other class. Chemistry taught me not only general facts and concepts but also gave me a deeper understanding of the world I live in. It instilled skills in me that will help me for many years to come and from the hours of memorization and dedication to the subject, I not only learned the material but also gained a greater understanding of education as a whole, which helped me in all my classes.

As my interest in chemistry grew, I continued to find my teacher giving me the same answer to many of my questions, "that's beyond the scope of this class." I grew accustomed to that answer but never gave up in my relentless quest to ascertain all the knowledge I could. My best friend soon became my chemistry book and Google and then I slowly began connecting the concepts I learned with everyday occurrences in my life. I learned how cooking was really just a chemical change of substances and mixtures, why a can of pop bursts if left in a car, and why the tar on roads becomes soft in the summer but never truly melts. This unique characteristic of chemistry is what initially piqued my interest in the subject and continues to hold my attention today. I hope that by attending Cornell University I will be able to fuel my desire to learn from the numerous knowledgeable faculty members and will be able to obtain a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

One of the best features that Cornell offers its students is the wealth of job placement services. With access to an extensive alumni network, the students of Cornell become acquainted with executives of world-renowned companies and are able to establish themselves at companies that look for Cornell graduates. According to Princeton Review, Cornell University is ranked 14th in the nation for the best job placement services. Once students graduate from college, one of the biggest issues they face is finding a job. With a degree from Cornell University, that task is much easier and the students are able to easily achieve that goal with the network of notable alumni who have started their own successful businesses or are very influential in their careers.

By taking advantage of the remarkable education environment at Cornell University, I will be able to achieve much more than I would anywhere else. The extensive alumni network will also help me set-up job interviews, internships, or admission into medical school. By combining my love of chemistry with my will to succeed, Cornell will help me establish myself and foster my future medical career. Because of the numerous advantages of Cornell University, I have made it my number one college choice, and if accepted I hope to join the ranks notable alumni who are a part of the career placement network to help assist future students.
ilcmc /  
Well written essay! Shows your interest, knowledge in the school. It is very genuine, which seems to be harder and harder to find these days...good job!
Yes, you write without errors. None that I saw, anyway. I think you could improve this by mentioning one or two of the questions that were beyond the scope of even this intellectually challenging class.

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell University - intellectual interests and their evolution