My cousin was diagonozed with Cervical cancer; Cornell Supplement

dqmonster 3 / 3 2  
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences: How have your interests and related experiences influenced the major you have selected in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences?

My cousin was 22 years old when she discovered her roadblock in life. It wasn't going through a break-up or losing a pet. It was her first pap smear and as if she wasn't already afraid, the results traumatized her. She found out she had cervical cancer and would be unable to produce children in her future. The news struck everyone painfully; even the doctor was flabbergasted at the results. Cervical cancer is rare amongst women younger than 40, but not impossible. I was 8 years old back then, not understanding what just happened, I kept questioning my mother about the situation; she just said she was sick. As my cousin went through radiation therapy and Chemotherapy, she lost her hair and underwent surgeries as I sat by her side, hoping she would feel better.

Eight years later, she waltzes into the living room, screaming: "I'm getting married!", as she flaunts her engagement ring. Tears welled up in my eyes as I see her now, a healthy and successful surgeon at Boston, engaged with her loved one. She had decided to become a surgeon to help other women with the same condition she had because no one should deserve that pain. She knew how it had felt to be in that position and she wanted to provide them comfort and ease by relating herself with her patients.

I took that determination and placed it in my own heart, going after my goals. I dedicated my volunteer time to children, working at a library to help dyslexic and illiterate kids from the ages of 6-10, helping them increase their reading levels. In CPC Beacon IS 220, I supervised over a class of first to third graders; I learned more from them than I thought I could. I began to understand their expressions and communicate with them more liberally. I took my first AP classes in junior year of high school; it was challenging but interesting. I enjoyed the science courses the most, whether it's Living Environment, Chemistry, Physics AB or Biology. I loved the hands-on experiments that we get to perform in labs, it helped me understand the scientific theories and apply them to society. When I was in the Junior Intel research program, I proceeded to join a lab at Brooklyn College. I assisted the professor in experiments and recorded the data in my lab log, feeling like a true scientist.

Getting admitted into Cornell University is one of my dream goals. I want to major in Biology and Society in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences to pursue my dream career. I want to improve society's health and provide my assistance to those in need. Planning my life ahead, I decided to look for a great medical school after I graduate. The Weill Cornell Medical College assured my decision to apply to this prestigious University. After I graduate, I would want to get my Master's degree in Health Science in order to become a physician's assistant. I want to give everyone a second chance in life, because everyone deserves it.
arguanoid 6 / 10 1  
. It wasn't going through a break-up or losing a pet. It was her first pap smear and as if she wasn't already afraid, the results traumatized her.

^This sentence needs lots of work. Try splitting it up "and as if she wasn't already afraid" doesn't make sense grammatically

Home / Undergraduate / My cousin was diagonozed with Cervical cancer; Cornell Supplement