my cousin was wrongfully convicted of armed robbery; Statement of Intent

jiva 2 / 5 1  
Hello, I have never heard of statement of intent nor statement of purpose until 2weeks ago. I was asked to write a statement of intent, explaining my reasons for applying for an Erasmus Mundus scholarship in forensic science. After a rigorous research, I came up with this draft. Will be pleased to have you assess and criticize it. Thanks.

STATEMENT OF INTENT

Over the years, many countries of the world have been mired in social injustice as a result of crude and inefficient crime scene investigations. The advent of Forensic science presents a viable means in averting this deplorable situation. However, the developing societies are yet to embrace this technique in criminal investigations, giving rise to innumerable wrongful convictions and unaccountable deaths.

A decade ago, my cousin was wrongfully convicted of armed robbery without substantive evidence. His arrest and conviction were made in response to perjured statements by the perpetrators of the crime. This incident created a vacuum in me as I watched helplessly as nothing was done to right this wrong. Nevertheless, a glimmer of hope manifested in a motion picture I watched shortly after this incident; of the crucial role played by the Forensic unit in exoneration of a man wrongfully charged with the murder of his wife. Perhaps, I can do same for my cousin and other people with such predicament. Such was my conviction that I accepted Forensic science as a career choice.

Consequently, I studied Biochemistry as a gateway to my life ambition, as Forensic science was not being taught at the undergraduate level. Notwithstanding, during my studies, I was privileged to garner background knowledge necessary in pursuing a career in Forensic science especially in basic DNA-based Information Technologies such as Polymerase chain reaction (PCR), Southern blotting and DNA cloning. These research areas have been of a considerable interest to me, they include; application of microbial activities in forensic techniques, development of bio sensors/probes for forensic and environmental analysis, DNA fingerprinting and Forensic toxicology.

Hence, a course in forensic science will afford me the opportunity of an extensive exploration of these research areas. In addition, it is bound to nurture me for a doctorate degree as well as improve my prospects of making a significant breakthrough in forensic science. Not only will it booster my academic potentials but it will also have a considerable impact in my human rights activism. Thus, my membership in anti-crime organisations such as the Independent corrupt practices and other related offences commission(ICPC). As a member of Justice development and Peace commission(JPDC) in my church, I have contributed in a campaign against abuse of the rule of law and order.

Overall, crime has not only become sophisticated but also high-tech; hence the need for unrelenting concerted effort in check mating these crimes and their perpetrators. This Erasmus mundus scholarship in Forensic science will go a long way in equipping me with the state of the art skills in forensic science to match this trend in criminal investigation. Furthermore, the opportunity of working closely with reputable experts in this field can only produce a scholar who will be a good teacher, executioner of a quality research and possibly a nobel laurate. In all, it is a dream come true.
Hi jiva,

Perhaps, I can do the same for my cousin and other people with such predicament.

You have well presented the advent of your strong interest in Forensic Medicine. It's quite conceivable!

In addition, it is bound to nurture me for a doctorate degree as well as improvebetter my prospects of making a significant breakthrough in forensic science.

... "improve" is also correct, but I felt "better my prospects" sounds better :D

Not only will it booster my academic potentials

Thus, my membership in anti-crime organisations such as the Independent corrupt practices and other related offences commission(ICPC).

This has a problem : ( .It's not a complete sentence and better re-phrase ....

However, your reasons for applying this scholarship are given a sort of low profile... I mean, you have mostly spoken of the worthiness of pursuing a degree in this discipline and its importance for you. You talk a less about how the schol comes in your aid!

Overall, you've done a real good job! ... Wish you good luck!!!!! : )
OP jiva 2 / 5 1  
Hi Dumi,
I am very grateful for your critical review. Your remarks are well noted. Thanks a lot.
dibianski 1 / 3  
As a member of Justice development and Peace commission(JPDC) in my church, I have contributed in a campaign(s) against abuse of the rule of law and order.

is it only one campaign that had taken place?

Furthermore, the opportunity of working closely with reputable experts in this field can only produce a scholar who will be a good teacher, executioner of a quality research and possibly a nobel laurate. In all, it is a dream come true.

i feel the only is restricting the future potentials
OP jiva 2 / 5 1  
@ dibianski: thanks for your corrections, but I have long submitted this essay. I would appreciate it if you can help review my personal statement for chevening scholarship. Thanks.

Home / Undergraduate / my cousin was wrongfully convicted of armed robbery; Statement of Intent