Creation of my daily reading material - Tufts #3

hanshea12 1 / 2  
3. For the second short response, we asked you to consider the world around you. Now, consider the world within. Taste in music, food, and clothing can make a statement while politics, sports, religion, and ethnicity are often defining attributes. Are you a vegetarian? A poet? Do you prefer YouTube or test tubes, Mac or PC? Are you the drummer in an all-girl rock band? Do you tinker? Use the richness of your identity to frame your personal outlook. (200-250 words)

This is what I came up with for this question, but I'm not sure I'm approaching it the right way. Thoughts?

With the creation of blogs came also the creation of my daily reading material. The ones I follow, I check religiously, reading them throughout my day like a newspaper. Others that I occasionally stumble upon through a trail of links I quickly scan and move on, much like flipping through the pages of a magazine. To me, blogs are like the lit windows of the otherwise darkened apartment buildings and skyscrapers that I pass at night while leaving the city. They are people who have left their lights on, people who have invited the world in for a view of their lives. Whether mainly telling their stories through pictures, like The Sartorialist; Garance Dore; Andy Torres; and Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere, or through a combination of photos and narrative รก la Joanna Goddard (A Cup of Jo); Ashley and Aron Bruhn (Hither and Thither); and Ashley Ann of Under the Sycamore, I feel a sense of connection with bloggers when glimpsing a shadow of their diverse and interesting lives. Though we may live thousands of miles apart, or be from different generations, or even speak different languages, these people allow me to understand another's way of life and reasons for living. Experiencing the day-to-day reality of what it's like to be a street fashion photographer like Scott Schuman, a young couple in New York City learning to be parents while maintaining their passion for travel, an engaged twenty-something appreciating the finer things in life, or a faith-filled mother of five with an enthusiasm for photography and DIY projects, is something that is uniquely possible through blogs. Their creators' distinct passions fill me with exuberance; to know that there are normal people out there perusing their dreams inspires me. Their blogs are like books that are continuously being updated and written, and I have the privilege of watching their stories unfold.
jaybee 5 / 5  
I think that you have answered the prompt, however, as I was reading it, I felt that towards the end it loses its focus on YOU. You mention that the bloggers inspire you. But what do they inspire you to do? Hope this helps, Good Luck (:
edwkoc 4 / 12  
I was going to say the same thing as the person above. WHY does this all matter? What does it say about who YOU are or who you want to become? There is something great here that could be made into something really amazing. Don't give up.
OP hanshea12 1 / 2  
thanks to both of you! Great point, I shall work on the ending to have a better tie in to my life
OP hanshea12 1 / 2  
is this ending better??

Their creators' distinct passions fill me with exuberance; to know that there are normal people out there perusing their dreams inspires me. Watching them achieve their goals, I feel that mine are closer within my reach, more concrete, more attainable. This feeling is a light, a hope, a challenge that I wish to pass forward and be for others through the work I do and the way I live. Every day, my "blog" is being written, every day the light grows stronger, and the stronger it gets, the easier it is to share.

Home / Undergraduate / Creation of my daily reading material - Tufts #3