A creative family - What is important to you? And why? UBC APPLICATION

josh b 1 / -  

What is important to you? And why?

(maximum 250 words)- Unfinished, help and suggestions needed. - 163 words currently

From a very young age I was brought up in a very creative family, my father being in film and my mom running an art school. I learned to value creativity very highly, and I would go on to follow that closely. Growing up I learned that creativity created a safe space for me, somewhere I could go to whenever times got difficult. The ability to create my own world where things made sense to me was very eye opening, and I quickly realized that this is the path I needed to take in life. I took the effort in applying to Etobicoke School of the Arts's film program for my highschool education because my creativity was such an important thing for me to maintain and use to its fullest potential. While attending this school and making many short films, I realized that I felt truly happy doing this, and it became clear that my creativity was the most important thing to me.
xkq0802 2 / 8 1  
Hi, I'm struggling with the same question, too. So I guess, it may be a little odd to give comment here. However, I still think that it's better to exchange idea. In my opinion, your essay is about creativity, not family creativity so you should eliminate the "creative family" word. You may want to elaborate how family affects your value of creativity.
Your response is not properly focused. You are discussing creativity in relation to your family. Which has led you to divert and discuss your family background and the occupations of your parents. It would be better if you keep the creativity theme, but focus on its personal importance to you instead. Avoid referencing creativity in relation to your parents. However, the problem I have with this essay is that you discuss creativity in general rather than focusing on a specific creative activity instead.

For example, a painter would consider creativity important. It is important to the artist because his imaginative mind is set free on the canvass. A writer would consider creativity important because his words create a mental safe space for him to express himself. A dancer would consider creativity important because the movement of the body helps him express his emotions creatively, through body motion. Do you see why it is difficult to discuss creativity in general terms as something important to you? If you want to stick to the creativity response, then you need to narrow down the focus of your discussion to a specific creative activity which can help explain the importance of creativity, in relation to the action, to you as a person and in your life.

Home / Undergraduate / A creative family - What is important to you? And why? UBC APPLICATION