The cues of the Yoruba, Igbo and the western culture. MIT Cultural Background Essay

DJMI 1 / 2 1  
I'm a Nigerian American. Nigeria has over 250 ethnic groups from which my family is part of. My dad is from Anambra(Eastern Nigeria) while my mum is from delta(Southern Nigeria). We are from the Igbo tribe. Our food are egusi, okro, oha and garri, We also speak Igbo(though i am not all that fluent) and English. Having grown up in Lagos(Southern Nigeria), i have experienced Igbo, Yoruba and western culture and we celebrate a number of festivals, the most important being Christmas and the Igbos are predominantly Christians, and we call God, Chukwu or Chineke. I am grateful for my parents supporting and training me in such a diverse place, that has influenced my cultural ethics and understanding of different cultures. Furthermore, this exposure has made me learned in the cues of the Yoruba, Igbo and the western culture.

Can you help make corrections and make it better. I dont know how to cut it to a 100 words
Wolf Larsen - / 127 47  
Hello

Your text will sound much better (stylystically) if you apply the following adjustments to it:

Nigeria has [...]There are over 250 ethinic groups in Nigeria, with my family beloning to one of them.
mum [...] Mum.... delta [...] Delta...
We are [...] belong to the...

Our foods [...] You should describe these foods briefly...
western [...] Western...
the most important [...] This should be the begining of a new sentence.
Christians [...] Christian (?)...
I am grateful [...] for the fact that my parents were able to support and train me...
this exposure [...] prompted me to learn...

Other than that your text seems Ok. You should simply shorten some longer sentences in it and the word-number will be kept under 100. I hope this will help. regards.
Davidson, I would like to help you cut this down to 100 words but unfortunately, you did not provide me with the complete instructions for the writing prompt so that I can review your work for the most relevant parts that we have to keep in order to present a proper cultural background for you. Kindly provide the complete prompt as soon as you can so that we can review the statement for proper response requirements. It won't be hard to complete 100 words as long as we know what kind of information is required of your response statement. I want to be sure that we can use such intricate references to your culture without explaining what the traditions mean or how it is performed in relevance to your cultural background.
OP DJMI 1 / 2 1  
Please tell us more about your cultural background and identity in the space below (100 word limit). If you need more than 100 words

I'm a Nigerian American. There are over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, with my family belonging to one of them..

I made some corrections

@Wolf Larsen
Davidson, the instructions cut off before you could complete it. What are you supposed to do if you need more than 100 words to complete the essay? I need to know specifically what action you have to take because you seriously need more than 100 words to properly present this essay to the reviewer. For starters, I want you to choose only the top 2 representations of your cultural background. What is your culture popular for? How are you known to the world? Or, choose some little known facts about your culture that you can share with the reviewer. Again, no more than 2 so that you can fully develop the discussion as per the prompt requirements. Take your time. Do not rush the development of this essay. Choose carefully. You get only one shot to make a strong impression regarding yourself using your cultural background. Don't blow it by rushing through the essay.
chizy7 6 / 52 14  
Hi Davidson, you schooled in Ikoyi?

Holt has really helped you with making these changes and it has led you to produce a better essay. I am Igbo too. It's really an important detail to write about the New Yam festival (I love that)-bringing in a known tradition of the Igbo people.

Since you grew up in Lagos, maybe you can also relate to a tradition of the Yorubas if the word count permits but if you will like to continue writing about the food which I think is much better since traditions, ways of dressing and food are important/distinctive elements of culture. Don't say we enjoy eating food like ... because to mean it sounds like we enjoy eating foods that does not belong to us. Rather start that sentence with how we love our food and take a great deal of time to prepare our food and how we so much love to present the final product rather than present the process and final product.
Davidson, I strongly suggest that you use the Optional Section in Part 2 to further develop your essay. Since you are being asked to introduce your cultural background and identity, it cannot be limited to 100 words. We need to make sure that you accurately build up the history of your people (the roots of Igbo), any particular social traditions that help to identify you to the world, the kind of international relations your country has (allied nations, etc.) and anything else that helps to identify you as a unique culture in a world full of seemingly individualized cultures. I think that you are part of an ethnic tribe in Nigeria right? So you have to discuss how Nigeria, as a government, treats your tribe (if that is the correct term), your problems and successes, and a host of other information. All of which are important in representing who you are and how your tribe has helped you achieve that unique character that you embody. We may be able to adjust the content of your essay. First, you need to write a new draft that has enough information for us to work with. Then i will help you from there.

Home / Undergraduate / The cues of the Yoruba, Igbo and the western culture. MIT Cultural Background Essay