Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Cultural background/Pleasure/Department/Ethical Dilemma; 3 MIT & 1 Caltech

Woodstock 7 / 17 3  
MIT
This is the worst of them. I don't get "cultural background" at all. I didn't write false thing, but I don't know what they want to hear in this question.

Please tell us more about your cultural background and identity in the space below (100 word limit). If you need more than 100 words, please use the Optional section on Part 2.

When you live on a frontier state and have USA as your head and the rest of Mexico as your tail, strange things happen. If you're a child, Santa Claus comes to town on December 25th and the three Magic Kings on January 7th. If you're a teenager, Halloween becomes appealing, so you dress up on October 31st, but on November 2nd you share a slice of Bread of the Dead and hot cocoa with your family. And if you're me, you have the latest models of gadgets and handmade pottery dishes, all resting on your desk.

We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do simply for the pleasure of it.

My brother collects coins; I collect stories. Sometimes it happens that I read or hear one, it gets stored in my head, and eventually I find myself rambling about it and no one is able to shut me up: making of movies, cake pops, Google entrance-exam questions. I can recite full episodes of my favorite TV show and plots of retro videogames only few people remaining know about. Others are starred by transcendental numbers and take place in the 1.89 dimension. I can even tell you stories about MIT, my favorite involving a certain console called the TX-0.

Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why?
When you're programming or doing math, "you're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas". You may create lines of code and operate on numbers but, in the end, they are like books; they are small windows to other worlds that we don't even know what they look like. This is why I want to pursue a major in Mathematics with Computer Science and a minor in Literature: these three areas are closer than we think, and I know MIT will aid me in my mission to make people see it.

[bCaltech[/b]
I think this one sucks too. I spent a lot of time on it and it probably isn't an ethical dilemma.

Members of the Caltech community live, learn, and work within an Honor System with one simple guideline; "No member shall take unfair advantage of any other member of the Caltech community." While seemingly simple, questions of ethics, honesty and integrity are sometimes challenging. Share an ethical dilemma that has challenged you. How did you respond? Your response is not limited to academic situations

After hitting "send", I felt liberated. I had broken three years of silently bearing his secret. I could have made me forget it, but I could picture him, unable to sleep because no one knew except for me, and I had walked away. I decided to show him I'm not the same. Back then I was convinced he was lying, that he wasn't going against his parents and religion. And now, all I wanted was to log in the next day, check my messages, and had one from him. I wanted "It's never too late" to be true.

Home / Undergraduate / Cultural background/Pleasure/Department/Ethical Dilemma; 3 MIT & 1 Caltech