Cultural or social environment essay for Peace Corps application:

Madison724 1 / -  
I grew up in a relatively small town where most families knew one another and there were rarely any surprises or unsuspecting altercations. My move to Colombia opened my eyes in many ways, but primarily in how I was expected to act as an American teacher. I had never even conceptualized the idea that students in other countries may be taught with entirely different methods, specifically in a more open-minded manner.

I taught at a private, bilingual High school where I was able to openly discuss controversial subjects in my classroom. Students told me detailed stories of the ongoing guerilla conflict still raging in their country and they shared their feelings regarding difficult topics such as violence, sex and religion. My overseers encouraged the discussions and wanted me to share my views as well. This was difficult for me because, like most schools in the United States, I was raised with the impression that these were not suitable topics to discuss in the classroom setting. But by being forced into this uncomfortable situation I was able to learn how to engage my students in a safe environment and also introduce them to new perspectives. At first they were weary of an outsider who was from a land so different than their own. Many were nervous to speak English me, afraid of judgment for speaking incorrectly. I began getting to know them each individually and showed them that my Spanish language skills were just as imperfect. They were fascinated by my stories of living in a suburb with three different newspaper options and I was bewildered to meet students who had never heard of Walmart or Starbucks. We cultivated and refined one another's existing view of the world and I grew to adore my hyper-energetic group of learners.

I dedicated my time outside of the classroom to exploring my town and neighborhood cities, wandering busy markets and slowly advancing my language skills. For the first time in my life I grew to love my alone time and learned how to be productive when I wasn't needed for days at a time. I adapted to a life without peanut butter and coffee creamer, and learned that six years of formal Spanish instruction left me minimally prepared to converse with my only roommate, a live-in maid named Angelica; which was an experience all in its own.

Through my experiences in Colombia I learned to always venture into new situations with an open mind and willingness to challenge conventional ideologies. I believe this will help me as a Peace Corps volunteer because I will come prepared with the understanding that there will be daunting obstacles, but I will remember that awareness and sensitivity will help establish sustainable bonds. People in different communities and cultures may not initially understand my motives and intentions, and that is okay. By remaining true to myself and genuine in my efforts I will hope to strengthen the relationships with my community members and earn their trust, confidence, and respect.
I grew up in a relatively small town where most families knew one another and there were rarely any surprises or unsuspecting altercations. My move to Colombia opened my eyes in many ways,

What is the connection between the first and the second line? In what ways Colombia was different to your hometown? It's good you had a better connection with these two lines.

I taught at a private, bilingual High school where I was able to openly discuss controversial subjects in my classroom.with my students.

StudentsThey told me detailed stories of the ongoing guerilla conflict that is still raging in their country and they shared their feelings regarding difficult topics such as violence, sex and religion.

I dedicated my time outside of the classroom to exploringexplore my town and neighborhood cities

Home / Undergraduate / Cultural or social environment essay for Peace Corps application: