Culture Essay - U of M

AnnaSophie 2 / 3  
"We know that diversity makes us a better university -- better for learning, for teaching, and for conducting research."
(U-M President Mary Sue Coleman)
Share an experience through which you have gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences. Comment on how your personal experiences and achievements would contribute to the diversity of the University of Michigan.

Does my essay correctly address the prompt? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

A hint of sweet cinnamon lingered in the air as I sat at the kitchen table playing Scrabble with my aunt Christine. My Oma was baking - like always. Sneakily, the neighbor's cat had found its way into the kitchen where it wound around the legs of the table. Outside, the sounds of bike bells rang all through the town - school was out. Later, Opa and I would go to the apple orchard to pick apples so Oma could make her scrumptious apple marmalade, and I would drive Opa's tractor while he brought the cows in for the night. This was my home in Germany and the place where I had grown up.

Nine years later, I found a new home, practically on the other side of the world-Georgia, US. Here, we did not ride bikes to school, tend to cows, or drive tractors. Entertainment was found in going to the see the latest flick at the movies or laser-tagging. We conversed about the latest celebrity gossip and the hottest news about "who-likes-who." When I went to the local park, I heard sounds and honks from cars whizzing along on the nearby freeway. Anywhere one went, an orchestra of various sounds was never far away.

While the lifestyles and cultures of these two places differ, together they have taught me a valuable lesson: Never fear venturing out to explore new places and learn about different cultures. One never knows what treasures might be unearthed.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Very touchy-feely essay (I could smell your Oma's pies and almost taste her marmalade.) You give the reader a nice experience, comparing your German vs. US experiences. The concluding sentences (valuable lesson) read well but weren't backed up by your previous examples (unless the new places you explored the local part, movies, laser-tagging? ) Also, don't forget the second half of the prompt!
OP AnnaSophie 2 / 3  
Thank You!!

I thought of the second half of the prompt as being implied in my essay, like the lesson I learned is what I will bring with me. I'm not a big fan of straight forward essays - "What I will contribute to the university is..." I guess it just seemed that way to me...I'll keep thinking about it! Thanks =)

Home / Undergraduate / Culture Essay - U of M