"Not only culture" - What diversity will you bring to the University?

fhss2121 1 / -  
For the university I'm applying to, I need to write my admissions essay about what diversity I believe I will bring to to the campus. (250 words)

I'm having trouble deciding what I should write about and how I should approach the topic. From the cultural diverse stand point, I am an Asian American and I was born and grew up in the United States. But I have been exposed to my parents' language and culture as well as the American culture throughout my life. I live in a very non diverse area, so I was always "different" than everyone else. And although I used to be ashamed of my multicultural background, I became proud of who I am and even began to teach my friends and classmates about my culture. So I was going to say how I could continue to break down these cultural barriers while in college, but the university I'm applying to is very culturally diverse, so I wasn't sure... And I know that diversity also doesn't necessarily always have to deal with culture. So I thought about writing about my many interests, ranging from science to soccer, or write about my personal qualities. I really do not want my essay to be just another typical essay on cultural diversity, but I'm not sure what I can do to make mine both interesting and still meet the expectations of the university. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for the help! :)
trishhha 8 / 23  
you could actually tie in your diversity with these activities by saying how you brought cultural diversity to your teams. and you could say that in your area, you were a minority and though you were initially ashamed, you learned to accept your cultural and spread it to your friends of different races. these essay prompts are very common but you have a lot of substantial stuff to write about! goodluck :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Not only culture" - What diversity will you bring to the University?