UC Prompt #1: How Culture has Shaped my Dreams?

ak1991 1 / 1  
Please help, I'm not sure whether I'm really addressing the prompt enough

Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations

When children come across a difficult subject, parents use the common explanation, "Don't worry, some kids are born good at it and some just aren't." Raised in an Asian household, I was never told that. In the world I'm from my family never gave me easy solutions to life's challenges and their cultural background played a major role in this. My parents' constant guidance has been central throughout my life and my world. They have always been firm believers in hard work and made sure that I knew that I could succeed in whatever I set my mind to. As a child, I took this guidance to heart. But after years of excelling in elementary and junior high school, things began to change and my hard work turned into a haphazard effort. It was only recently that the advice they had given to me for years reappeared with a new meaning. The realities of my shortcomings in my first two years of high school had become apparent to me and I decided that it would take determination and perseverance to achieve the future I had always wanted.

Brought up by successful parents, both of whom have doctoral degrees, and an academically inclined older brother, knowledge has always been a central value in our household. As children, my Filipino mom and Indian dad grew up in societies where education was the primary route to success. My parents, attempting to guide me down the academic path of my brother, introduced me to addition, subtraction, multiplication and reading at very early ages. Yet, my reluctance showed them that I was a very different child, a child who would learn what she wanted, when she wanted. When I decided I wanted to read, I went from picture books to chapter books in a matter of weeks. When math was introduced to me, I would practice in workbooks day and night. These studying habits served me well all the way through junior high.

But then high school came. I was introduced to many new kids, a big difference from junior high where I knew almost everyone at my school. The importance of a social life started to surpass my school work. I began to stay out much later than usual on weekend nights, hanging out with friends constantly, and putting off school work to the last minute, often missing some assignments entirely. It wasn't that I had failed; because I never received a final grade lower than a C. It was just that I was just not nearly achieving to the best of my ability. At the end of junior year, I was disappointed in myself. It was then that I turned back to advice from my parents: hard work will lead to success.

In my world it is the cultural heritage of my family that has helped shape the decision for me to change my future. The parenting I have been blessed with as a result of my Asian upbringing has led me to value the outcome of hard work and is guiding me down the path towards my scholastic future. Instead of slacking off, I am beginning to challenge myself now more than ever. Being raised in a world where academics is a first priority has compelled me to seek admission to the University of California. From there, I dream of a bigger academic future that goes beyond even my family's expectations
OP ak1991 1 / 1  
someone please help!
You do address the prompt well! To improve it, go a step further by explaining that the high standards with which you were raised inspire you to seek a particular program at the U of Cal... or even the guidance of a particular faculty member.

Home / Undergraduate / UC Prompt #1: How Culture has Shaped my Dreams?