"Culumbia is the place for me"

mariahito 2 / -  
Columbia: Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why. (300 words or less)
Columbia is one of the few universities that can offer me the possibility to major in engineering and at the same time a minor of liberal arts in Hispanic studies, since I'm interested in learning more about my culture. The engineering core classes will allow to experience the different fields of engineering, allowing to have a hands-on experience of my major during my first year. The diversity of the student body will help to expand my views of the world since the core curriculum will allow to meet students from all over the world and from different majors, making possible to learn their different views of the different subjects, giving me a broad background that I could use in my discipline.

The opportunity that professors give to students to participate in research projects and the internships in New York and around the world will help to develop leadership skills, create my own research projects, and acquired experience in field.

Being thousand of miles away from home it's important for me to feel comfortable in campus, Columbia is one of the few campuses were the students really make feel like home. Their enthusiasm and passion for what they do really make me want to be part of them to share that enthusiasm and passion.

Columbia is more than the place were I want to start my career of engineering is the place that would help me to step out my comfort zone and help to discover myself and what I am capable of doing. it's the place where I will growth as a person and learn how to use my knowledge to help others. Columbia is the best place to start my future.
vinnymj 3 / 6  
Explain what you have to come to understand about their closely knit student campus and how you feel that exposure to both the academic and social aspects of Madison will help you learn more in a balanced environment that offers equal priority to the academic and social development of its students
Maria, I noticed that you spoke at great length about how Columbia will help you expand your horizons by teaching you about Engineering. It would help your application if you can explain how you plan to utilize their internship programs for this purpose and which of their international programs would help enhance your leadership skills. Most importantly, mention which of their projects or programs are of interest to you because of your plans for a future engineering project. Then mention how you hope to be mentored by certain professors, name names if you can, in the development of your projects. You also mentioned a minor in HIspanic Studies but you did not expand this topic. You should mention what it is about their Hispanic program that drew you towards the decision to minor this course. It is important to portray the academic influence that Columbia offers because that is what is implied in the prompt.

If you have had a chance to visit the campus and immerse yourself in the student community, then add that experience to the essay. If you have not had the chance to do that, then it would be best to avoid discussing it. Instead, use the remaining word count to concentrate more on the academic side of Columbia and why you feel that you can be a productive part of their academic community.

Home / Undergraduate / "Culumbia is the place for me"