curiosity and passion ; Motivation and Leadership

lalala15 3 / 4 1  
Prompt: What motivates and shapes your leadership style and desire to succeed?

I believe that curiosity and passion are the underlying forces behind my deep desire to succeed. As a person with a naturally curious mindset, I am attracted to solving complex problems. In fact, it is the thrill of solving these problems and experimenting with their results that gives me the drive to succeed. My passion for solving problems and discovering new ideas along with my curious mindset greatly shape my leadership style.

Over the past few years, I have greatly enjoyed the journey of developing my leadership style. One experience in particular that stands out is my time with the Environmental Council. As president, I wanted to drive myself along with other team members to achieve our goal: receiving platinum eco-certification by the Toronto District School Board. Through a common vision, I was able to bring my team together to work on building a greener school. Together we combined our passion for the environment and curious mindsets to develop ways in which the school could reduce its ecological footprint. Through my participative leadership style, I was able to motivate all members to achieve our goal.

This is only 185 words. Needs to be 250! Help!

Prompt: Write about a leader that you like and one you don't like.

"It is a curious thing, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, find to their own surprise that they wear it well." These words were said by a respected leader, Albus Dumbeldore, a fictional character from the Harry Potter series. The series presents a variety of leaders; one in particular that I admire is Harry Potter whereas Lord Voldermot is one that I do not greatly admire.

I believe that true leaders don't seek power; in fact they seek to motivate others, influence them and guide them to achieve their goals. This is the differentiating quality between Harry Potter and Lord Voldermot, from the Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling. Voldermot was the kind of leader that sought power. He had a very dictorial leadership style compared to Harry who was humble and self less. Voldermot motivated his followers through fear and greed whereas Harry motivated his followers through a common vision. I believe that motivating through a common vision can lead up to the establishment of a great team, where everyone works together to achieve the same goal. Fear and greed will only attract opportunists, who lack passion and drive.

One of the best qualities of a good leader is the ability to earn others' trust and also to put trust into others. Harry displayed both aspects of this quality whereas Voldermot failed to put trust into others. He failed to trust others with important tasks and insisted upon doing them himself, therefore taking longer to achieve his goals. Harry however was able to trust others, therefore he could rely on their strengths and they could leverage their weaknesses through his strengths. Trust is a two way road, both the leaders and the followers must be able to put complete trust and faith into each other.

True leadership is displayed through passion, humbleness and selflessness. I believe that great leaders provide a clear vision, and help guide others with similar intentions.

Do you think the first paragraph is kind of irrelevant. I don't know how to start it off :S
lauman112233 5 / 14  
I think it is a feel written essay!
Just try to elaborate more about Environmental Council, like saying what dilemma you have come over. Also try to explain more about your curiosity and provides some short support.
In fact, it is the thrill of solving these problems and experimenting with their results that gives give me the drive to succeed.

.... there are two things and hence you need the plural version.
My suggestion;
In fact it is this thrill of solving problems and experimenting with their results that drove me towards success.

My passion for solving problems and discovering new ideas along with my curious mindset greatly shape my leadership style.

These personality traits of mine, passion for analysing and solving problems, exploring new applications, curious mindset etc., shaped my leadership style to be analytical, innovative and adventurous.

Home / Undergraduate / curiosity and passion ; Motivation and Leadership