'curious to learn about the history of my area' - MIt essay world you come from

ahmad999 3 / 6  
can any one fix it for grammar .becoz i am reallly bad at it.
also any thing seeming redundant?? becoz i am out of limit already
is it understandable .any kind of harsh criticism is welcomed :)
Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, community, city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations?(*) (200-250 words)

I was born in the Old city of Lahore , under the shadow of grand walls of Royal fort. "Had the timing a little bit of the past and I was born inside the fort ,I might be a prince ,sitting beside the Mughal emperor, Akbar the great", I used to day dream while resting on the deserted marble throne placed in the Darbaar e Aam. But things were different. I was born today; not inside the fort but in its vicinity in the Diamond market, famously known as Shahi Mohala.

This market does not sell diamonds as it appears from the name. It is infact the ancient red light district of Lahore.
Its narrow streets sleep during the daytime but awake at night. In the darkness, music oozes out of several small houses. Pretty girls wait for customers in the street level rooms of their wooden houses, the shutter doors wide open (a closed door implied a customer inside). Ghungroos, the dark silver bells sewn onto velvet and strapped around the ankle and calve, tinkle as girls restlessly tap their feet while waiting for customers who saunter amidst compost heaps, drug pushers and users, vendors hawking jasmines and red roses and eateries selling freshly prepared, hot food.

As I grew older my father, worried about my education ,and to provide me a "clean environment" , sent me to DPS, one of the finest schools of Lahore. The atmosphere there was new for me, folks with totally different kind of mindset. I usually avoid telling anybody where I am from; else he would become suspicious of my parenting. A hidden embarrassment surrounded me. I started hating myself. It continued in the same way until I went to college, where I, curious to learn about the history of my area, read about it.

This place was once a nursery of music and classic dance, celebrated for its stately courtesans whose poetry, dance and etiquettes were sought after by princes, Nawabs and dignitaries .Famed artists lived here depicted by the fact that it is among the few precincts of the old walled city that has name plates on the houses. Even today, the purity and the articulateness of language of its people is incomparable.

From that day onwards I was no more fearful, no more hesitant to speak about my hometown because I knew that I belong to a culture, a heritage dating back to centuries. I may not become a prince but I have their legacy, their norms, their history ,a source of great inspiration for me.
Davemedsci 5 / 25  
I think it is a very good essay , but you should work on a more powerful last paragraph.
OP ahmad999 3 / 6  
thank you so much for your kind help.
mlayton - / 8  
The main body paragraph is very strong but the ending doesn't tie the essay well together enough. It seemed as though the end was a little rushed.
pringles 6 / 36  
I also agree with them. and if the word count is the issue then I'd shorten the quote in the introduction and use the breathing room to get more power in the final paragraph

Home / Undergraduate / 'curious to learn about the history of my area' - MIt essay world you come from