"a curriculum that educates and active citizenship" Tufts Essay

attarhame 2 / 3  
1. Which aspects of Tufts' curriculum or undergraduate experience prompt your application? In short: ''Why Tufts?'' (50-100 words)

It seems like the college curriculum is designed to give students tunnel vision. You have your major, you may dabble on some other fields of knowledge, but you're on the linear path to your degree. Tufts breaks down the walls of this tunnel, expanding the field of knowledge in all directions. I don't want the professor to be the only one talking while all I do is mindlessly memorize; that kind of education just isn't going to cut it in the real world. Pursuing a career in the medical field will be much more than just knowing everything in the textbooks. I want to interact with people in hospitals of 3rd world countries, take part in undergraduate research-to learn from experience, not from notes I memorized for a test. Tufts focuses on a curriculum that educates the student as a whole, and emphasizes active citizenship-among all its opportunities for research and study abroad. That's what makes Tufts University the place for me.

Okay So...I feel like my language is very childish and casual compared to others responses to the same question. Do I sound dumb because of this casual style? I can make myself sound more eloquent but honestly, don't they get tired of all the long wordy responses-or should I go on thesaurus.com and make this more interesting?

& its 160 words so I need to cut a lot.
Adventuress 4 / 7  
I tried to cut out some words/parts of sentences that I think you could exclude. Personally, I don't think your casual language is a bad thing - it's a lot better to express deep ideas with casual language than express shallow ones using, like you said, thesaurus.com; and I thought your criticism of the kind of education offered at most colleges was really good. I don't know a lot about Tufts, but this sounds good to me. By the way, thanks for reading mine! But isn't there ANYTHING you think I could fix?.. You don't have to have something, of course (we all need some "I LOVE THIS!"s on some of our essays), but if you think of something, please post it. :)

Home / Undergraduate / "a curriculum that educates and active citizenship" Tufts Essay