"Cut us all in half, we're all the same" - the exhibition; this work of art struck me like an arrow

restinpizza 7 / 15  
"Cut us all in half, we're all the same" is the quote that goes along with the exhibition by Damien Hirst called Mother and Child Divided. The exhibit depicts a cow and calf cut down the middle and preserved in four individual formaldehyde tanks. The cow is completely visible, inside and out. This piece really captured me in a way that's hard to describe. Both life and death were present simultaneously and experience created within my mind was euphoric. Every moment between the beginning and the end seemed to present in that one moment and the physicality of our existence struck me like an arrow. At times where emotions seem to cloud our judgment and the relationships we form seem to be our reason for living, this exhibition reminded me that I am simply a physical being. Emotions and the mind govern so much of actions through day to day life, but we rarely shrink ourselves down to the physical nature of our existence. I saw myself in this cow, oddly enough, and in a separate reality, it could very well be me in that tank, shrunken down to my mere physicality as if nothing mattered. Everything within the tank was frozen and completely still, while life continues to carry on around it. This work of art even unsettles my core to this day, because it continuously challenges my reason for ambition and simplifies life in a demonic way, focusing on death. The question I aim to answer is: are we really all the same and where do the differences lie?
sa1na 9 / 72 19  
This piece really captured me in a way that's hard to describe - I suppose you can wipe out this sentence. It gives your writing a negative sense.

At times where emotions seem to cloud our judgment and the relationships we form seem to be our reason for living, - change our and we to me and I, it would seem more logical.

and in a separate reality, (:)it could very well be me in that tank, shrunken down to my mere physicality as if nothing mattered.
Everything within the tank was frozen and completely still, while life continues (continued) to carry on around it.
are we really all the same and where do the differences lie? - two questions do not conform. Maybe you could alter it : are we really all the same? If not, where do the differences lie?

Your description was perfect; I could actually imagine the exhibition.

Home / Undergraduate / "Cut us all in half, we're all the same" - the exhibition; this work of art struck me like an arrow