cut out about 30 words for my college app; 'I wasn't elected to do nothing'

Pottergirl19 5 / 15  
2. Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa told The New York Times, "The only way of not generating conflict is to do nothing, and I wasn't elected to do nothing." What issue quickens your pulse and inspires you to join the fray?

Murder. The Constitution says, "Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought." So it must be completely illegal in the United States, right? Wrong. There have been approximately 53 legal murders in the United States since the Roe vs. Wade decision to make abortions legal. It was passed on the basis that a fetus is not yet a human being. But it is.

Did you know that only a couple of weeks after fertilization a baby has a heartbeat? How can people say the baby is not alive? When a person is in a car accident and their heart stops, the EMTs pronounce them dead. So having a heartbeat must be what people consider being alive. So a fetus, only conceived two weeks ago, is alive. Most women are only starting to realize they may be pregnant at this point. When they do realize it and decide to have an abortion, the baby is just that. A baby. A human being. One that is murdered with the pregnancy's termination. About half of all abortions happen at about week 12 of the pregnancy. At this point, the baby has all of its organs and fingers and toes. It moves when it is bumped, or just moves freely when it wants to. It even hiccups. I just do not understand how a mother can kill her baby who can already do all of these things. Including being able to feel pain. A baby can feel everything that is done to it during an abortion. Every time it is sucked apart piece by piece, every moment it is suffocating. I do not mean to sound gory, but it is the truth.

Women most often have abortions because a baby is inconvenient for them, or they do not feel ready to be mothers. But there are so many people out there who cannot have children who want them. I understand that many women are not prepared to have a child. But that does not mean the baby has to be sacrificed just for the mother to be happy. However, many women are not happy after having an abortion. They are more likely to experience severe depression and regret for the rest of their lives. They are at a much higher risk of miscarriage, or could even become sterile, now unable to have children they want. A woman tries to improve her life by destroying another's and her life may end up much worse. There are more adoptive families out there than babies to adopt. Why would a woman chose to have an abortion, hurt herself, kill a child, when she could save a life, save herself pain, and give life to another family?

More than just destroying a life, women who have abortions are destroying potential. What if Einstein's mother had had an abortion? Or the mother of Christiaan Barnard, the man who performed the first heart transplant? If a woman decides to have an abortion, despite all the risks and possible effects, that is her decision. But she might have just killed the person who would have discovered the cure for cancer.
Ravenclaw_roar 4 / 38  
Hey there this is a powerful essay. However, you might want to reconsider writing about this topic. It's very sensitive and borders on some religious beliefs. Some people just do not consider abortion as murder.
aerielm 6 / 14  
Well, first of all its a good essay, no real grammar or spelling errors i could find. While i dont totally agree with you, you seem really passionate about the subject and it shows in your writing. the only criticism i have is that there are a lot of facts that most people know and are somewhat unecessary, escpecially if you need to cut out words.

"About half of all abortions happen at about week 12 of the pregnancy" and other facts like this could be shortened or removed

But the intro is very intriguing and the i like how you ended it, so all in all good essay. Good luck!
silentspring 12 / 58  
Rephrase
There have been approximately 53 legal murders in the United States since the Roe vs. Wade decision to make abortions legal.

to "Approximately 53 legal murders happened in the United States since the Roe vs. Wade decision to make abortions legal."
Including being able to feel pain. --awk

Women most often have abortions because a baby is inconvenient for them, --- delete most

just for the mother to be happy. delete just

Home / Undergraduate / cut out about 30 words for my college app; 'I wasn't elected to do nothing'