'Dad, father, the old man, pop' - UT- ESSAY 1

TTOWN 1 / -  
This essay is for topic A for undergrad admissions into UT.

Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

I had no idea how to start it!

Dad, father, "the old man", pop, all of these nicknames are for the person who has impacted my life the most. My dad grew up in an average neighborhood with an average family and an average lifestyle, but the things he has done to this day are nowhere close to being "average". Since the day I was born I can always remember him being a hard worker. Often waking me up early on weekend morning to do work around the house, he tried to instill the same values my grandfather had instilled on him. After attending both the local community college and university he received a masters degree in public health. Then out of nowhere he decided that he wanted to be a lawyer. Having a nursing degree, he was rejected by most law schools around the state of Texas. One school, Texas Southern University, decided to give him a chance and he was later on enrolled for the following semester. After long nights of studying he was able to receive his JD. We then moved back to Laredo where he was hired by a firm that my uncle had previously worked at; the firm at which he is now a partner. During all of this we were constantly moving from various relatives houses to small apartments. I still remember one of the first apartments we lived was not infested with roaches, but we ran into them frequently.

All of this took place when I was still young so most of it didn't mean much to me. It was three years ago when my dad decided to go back to school that I realized what he has and is doing for our family. He went back to Texas A&M International and received yet another masters degree, only this time in the science of nursing. With that degree he is now a nurse practitioner and along with two of his close friends own and operate a weekend clinic. The thing that impresses me the most is that from the day he walked in to community college and on he has paid for every class and book. He may have had to take out a couple of student loans but they are all paid off for now. I now see what hard work and dedication can result in. Because of my father I now desire to impact my children's life just like he has. My dad and I may not be together forever, but the things he has done to impact my life will forever be remembered.
Often waking me up early on weekend mornings to do work around the house, he tried to instill the same values my grandfather had instilled in him.

After attending both the local community college and university, he received a masters degree in public health.

Then out of nowhere, he decided that he wanted to be a lawyer.

One school, Texas Southern University, decided to give him a chance and he was later on enrolled for the following semester.

After many long nights of studying, he was able to receive his JD.

All of this took place when I was still young, so most of it didn't mean much to me.

Great essay and a wonderful tribute to your dad! Good luck with school and have fun!

:)
menukagrg 7 / 98  
Really nice essay. I would have loved to read a little more, something that focused more on the hardships of your dad to make your essay more powerful. But all in all, your essay is pretty neat. Ps. Your dad is amazing.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Dad, father, the old man, pop' - UT- ESSAY 1