From dad / Woman in history / Unafraid / Community - BARNARD

skhan0924 1 / 1  
BARNARD SUPPLEMENT:
A. How did you first learn about Barnard College and what factors have influenced your decision to apply? Why do you think the College would be a good match for you?

I learned about Barnard College from my dad. As I heard and read more about the college, I decided to visit it and get some more knowledge on it myself. After the open house I walked out knowing this college is right for me. There is an unperturbed atmosphere every time I visit the college. When I visited I felt a sense of empowerment that Barnard gave me. It gave me a strong feeling of agency regarding both my cerebral knowledge and my aptitude to do astonishing things in life. I journeyed around the campus seeing the act of Sisterhood around every corner. Knowing that Barnard students and alumni's are devoted to each other makes me feel as if I'm in my own home. I believe the college is a best match for me because Barnard is a place where I know it will allow me intellectual freedom and opportunities. Also the fact that education is really tailored to what you want and everyone is looking out for your best interests makes me wants to go to this college more than ever.

B. Pick one woman in history or fiction to converse with for an hour and explain your choice. What would you talk about?
One woman in history I chose is a hero of the Hundred Years War, also known as Joan of Arc. I chose her because her story arouses many people today because of her keenness to the truth as she knew it, to her country however it ignored her, and to her religious beliefs no matter how they were used against her. She is the hero many of us wish we had the pluck to be. If I had an hour to converse with her I would not only ask her endless questions but also ask her to educate me on her life. I would ask her numerous questions such as how did you convince those in power that at the age of seventeen, you were able to lead the French army and drive the English out of France? Or how did it feel when Charles VII withdrew his support and abandoned you, after he was crowned King of France? But most importantly find out who were the voices and visions that guided you. I would talk to her about the challenges she had faced. But overall I would tell her that I see her as one of the most remarkable heroines in history. She is a real person to look up to for women today, not because of her visions, but the fact she brought together a failing country and stared death in the face. I would lastly tell her that she was a woman who showed the world what an individual can do.

C. Alumna and writer Anna Quindlen says that she "majored in unafraid" at Barnard. Tell us about a time when you majored in unafraid.

My life has been a roller coaster ride filled with many obstacles. However, I always thought of them as challenges. So as I sort out the biggest obstacle I think of my biggest challenge. My biggest challenge, the one I "majored in unafraid" has to be with my cousin. Living with a person that has Down syndrome taught me to become an open minded and impartial person. I used to be so scared at times to talk to her because I was afraid I would say or do something wrong. But I overcame that fear when I learned to accept her as a normal person with no flaws what so ever. I taught her sign language so she can better communicate since her speech is limited. I learned to deal with her stubbornness. I used to be an impatient person but spending time with my cousin made me not only patient but easily understanding. Every day I studied her and realized that it takes time for her to adjust to new stuff; and that taught me to not give up on her and to continue teaching her the stuff she has forgotten. I used to get so annoyed by her but that's because I never gave her a chance. I never really got too know her. To this day on she is the best blessing a person can ever get. Because of her I would have probably never become a patient, open minded and as willing to be challenged in life as I am today.

D. Community - educational, geographic, religious, political, ethnic, or other - can define an individual's experience and influence her journey. How has your community, as you identify it, shaped your perspective?

I live in a community that is a melting pot just like New York City. It has influenced me because I get to see different perspectives of humanity through the different cultures that people practice here. It is because of these cultures that I am more open minded and know much more about diverse lifestyles then I would have in a secluded community. My community has affected my outlook of the world in many ways. I learned through my community that diversity lends itself to broader thought processes, solutions, innovations etc. But I also learned that it difficult to get people who aren't alike to listen to each other with open minds. I realized that it would be my worst nightmare to live in a place with people who only think one way. My community also changed my perspective on people itself. It taught me to never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling. People change our perspectives everyday and it is the sum of these perspectives that makes us who we are.
undidiamaka 4 / 9  
your is organize, you did a very good job with your writing.
OP skhan0924 1 / 1  
thankyou so much but i feel like i didnt give enough details :/

Home / Undergraduate / From dad / Woman in history / Unafraid / Community - BARNARD