"Dancing Lifestyle; this loss did not alter my feelings" - UC Application Essay

Ayeh 2 / 3  
As the seven of us approached Monte Vista High, I could not help but feel nervous as we entered a small room packed with teenagers and loud, rumbling music. This was the D.B.E Jam, my very first breakdancing competition. Simply looking at how skilled the other dancers were made me self conscious, and I was afraid to even practice and warm up, let alone compete. I became doubtful of my capabilities, and began wondering why I even entered in the first place.

Surely enough, my crew GhostForce was announced over the microphone and my partner and I slowly walked up to the dance floor. As with all performances and nerve-wrecking moments, my heart thudded in my chest as I waited for the music to begin. I was up first, and while dancing I felt as if I had no control over my body; impulses had taken over and I allowed them to move me. During that same round I suddenly became comfortable, the beating in my chest softened and I realized how much I enjoyed this battling sensation. Yes, anyone could enter to show off, but to me it became more about representing my crew, testing my acquired skills, and engaging in a friendly competition with others who shared my love for dancing. Along with that discovery came a victory as GhostForce advanced to the next battle.

This unexpected success became a great source of happiness for me, and I channeled this into confidence as we soon stood face to face with yet another opposing team. This time I was ready; my heart beat against my chest as usual but the nervousness kept me focused on what was in store for me. Although my recent experience in the first battle was fairly new, I was able to instantly learn from it and utilize it in the second round. This time my mind and body cooperated; my moves became more fluid and connected and I was able to truly express myself on the dance floor. My movements were in tune with the music, and everyone else was enjoying it as much as I was. Once again our crew emerged victorious and we shifted into the semi-finals.

Not only did I enter and win once, but twice. The doubt instantly disappeared from my mind as I realized what I was capable of. My hard work and countless hours of preparation had truly paid off, and we were able to snatch two wins in our very first competition. Although the victories sparked my happiness, the jam was not over. Once again our crew was announced, this time with a more difficult opponent on the other end.

I knew that by facing them it would be extremely difficult to win, and to put it short, we lost. This loss did not alter my feelings at all, however, yet it made me appreciate all that I had learned. To this day I know I am capable; my hard work and perseverance have led to many successful moments, and whenever life places an opponent in my way, I will continue to battle until I emerge victorious.

Please help with grammar, organization, anything. Thanks!
This was the D.B.E Jam, my very first break-dancing competition.

When my crew GhostForce was announced over the microphone and my partner and I slowly walked up to the dance floor.

This time I was ready; my heart beat against my chest as usual, but the nervousness kept me focused on what was in store for me.

Once again our crew was announced, this time with a more difficult opponent. on the other end.

I knew that by facing them it would be extremely difficult to win, and to put it short, we lost.

This is a good and interesting essay. Good luck in school and have fun!

Home / Undergraduate / "Dancing Lifestyle; this loss did not alter my feelings" - UC Application Essay