Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"My daughter's birth" - personal Statement for entrance into law school.

tashaclay 1 / 1  
Personal Statement
Ironically, the birth of my daughter represented the diminishment of my potential in the world through those on the outside looking in. But for me it brought fulfillment of the best that I can be. My daughter's birth brought reason for me to strive to be the best that I can possibly be. Becoming a mom at the age of 14 would have caused most youth's to lose focus on their dreams. But for me; it caused me to strive to the highest degree. I finished high school on time with a 3.1 GPA and from there went on to college to obtain a Bachelors in Education as well as two master's one in Community Development and another in Counseling. Given my situation I decided to make the best of it and lay a foundation in which my child would be proud to call me mom.

Coming from a background largely comprised of obstacles which include being African American, female, and a teen mom, I realized that had it not been for the undying support of my mother, and others, before, during, and after my pregnancy, returning to school to continue my education would not have been an option. My family values have shaped my whole world concept. And I know there are times when I have strayed from them but what has kept me focused were my philosophies of life that were embedded in me during my upbringing. Always obey the laws of society, education is the key to success, honesty is the best policy, and hard work pays off.

I began my educational career later than my counterparts due to becoming a mother at an early age. This event never deterred my drive and motivation to become successful and provide a good upbringing for my child. I fought hard to graduate as an undergrad but with perseverance I made it through. I then went on to become a teacher touching the lives of the youths of America. This position tested both my intelligence and my work ethic. The first few months moved at a hectic pace as I attempted to acquire knowledge of my new pursuit and to control the responsibilities assigned to me. However, I quickly adjusted and inspired children who cared less about school to invest in their future. . Because of my hard work and growing expertise, my colleagues began to acknowledge me as an important member of the organization and my opinion became respected and sought out.

The opportunity to effect positive change and enhance the quality of law is the most attractive aspect in becoming a lawyer. I feel lucky to have been able to gain much experience in the opportunities that afforded me through previous employers and University classes whose curriculum and experiences allude to an openness that has allowed for measured risks and the candor necessary to achieve goals, and hope to continue my education in a similarly rigorous learning environment where I can learn from industry leaders. I look forward to exploring further opportunities as a JD student within the SMU School of Law.

Home / Undergraduate / "My daughter's birth" - personal Statement for entrance into law school.