Daughter. Sister. Friend. Cousin. Granddaughter... RELATIONSHIPS; STANFORD/ WHAT MATTERS

GAS1995 3 / 7  
You guys, I have a 2000 character limit and currently I am waaaay pass that limit at 2417. I'd deeply appreciate any help in areas that might need slimming or don't really put my point acroos. Thank-you all so much in advance !

What matters to you, and why?

Daughter. Sister. Friend. Cousin. Granddaughter. Teacher. Student. Confidant. We grow up being defined with labels, and even though stereotyping is an unwelcome cliché, those labels define me. As humans we crave interaction with each other; the relationships we form with our fellow human beings either make us or break us and as such relationships are pivotal in life.

On top of a crystal mantelpiece in our living room bookshelf sits a glass bowl filled with colourful paper. Annually, on the 31st of December, all 5 of my immediate family members, sit around our living room table and empty the bowl's content. Inside lay our hopes, dreams and aspirations for the passing year- our resolutions written in our distinct handwritings. The room fills with laughter and the occasional tear as we reflect on how much the last 12 months have changed us. Trek back 2 hours earlier. I am at my best friend's house ringing the New Year early. We raise our mocktails in toast celebrating our accomplishments and each other but most importantly, celebrating that no matter what life threw at us making us stumble and fall the last 365 days, we managed to get right back up.

My family, blood related or not, have influenced me irrevocably. My mother is a person who will never cease to amaze me. With her intelligence, unique sense of humour, resilience and determination I have learned that it is imperative to understand that yes, we only live on Earth once, but if you do it right once is enough. My father instilled in me compassion, humility, principles and drive: qualities I believe will be invaluable in my commitment to medicine. The remaining relatives have an array of quirks- from being vivacious and versatile to being organized and assertive; assets that I have inevitably picked up from too many hours shared in the same room.

The last 3 labels define who I am to anyone I have ever met: from teaching my neighbour's daughter how to ride a bicycle, learning about the method by which Mycobacterium tuberculosis affects the cell-mediated response or listening to a friend expose her years of receiving racism. Once you strip down our exterior differences, our varying passions the relationships we form are our indestructible constants. From the local postman who brings the occasional parcel of joy, to the cashier at the supermarket who hands you your groceries, to the charismatic emcee at your last Christmas party: we are all related and that is what matters most to me.
rew2402 5 / 21  
is an unwelcome clichĂŠ

rephrase? unwelcomed or unwelcoming

determination(comma) I have learnt

what i personally believe is that you (as i said, PERSONALLY) should use one line to describe how ALL of this made you what you are today? theres just so many qualities, but waht do they make you today? how is that important to you?

i liked your essay :) not boring. well written.

Home / Undergraduate / Daughter. Sister. Friend. Cousin. Granddaughter... RELATIONSHIPS; STANFORD/ WHAT MATTERS