I was daydreaming about a typical, everyday routine of a high school student - Homeschool Background

jmjsoccer12 1 / 1  
This is my Common App essay for Prompt #1. Please tear it to shreds!

Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

I closed my eyes and imagined waking up before the sun rose. I would dress in the school uniform: a polo shirt and black skirt, pack a lunch and a book bag full of homework, and rush out the door to catch the bus. I see myself chatting with my friends as we walk through the school halls, greeting my teacher as I arrive at class. I picture myself walking to soccer practice after school, working through drills on the pristine turf fields, emblazoned with the school logo.

Why was I daydreaming about a typical, everyday routine of a high school student? Being a home-schooled student my entire life, I had never experienced these things before. I was therefore imagining a world that I thought would soon become mine. As a sophomore, I had the opportunity to attend a private school for my last two years of high school. The decision was completely up to me. Ever since I had received the school acceptance letter, it was all I could think about.

I cringed as I remembered the many times I had to answer the question, "Where do you go to school?" The reactions to my answer ranged from the polite, "Oh that's really cool, you're so lucky!" to the skeptical, "Really? But how do you make friends?" There were countless more questions, such as "Do you get to stay in your pajamas all day?" to "Can't you just cheat on all your work?" I was well aware of the homeschooler stereotype of a sheltered, naive, and socially awkward student, and I began to worry that these assumptions, however false, would always define me.

My chance of finally attending school vanished when I started to see the true reasons behind my desire. More than wanting to attend the school, I just wanted to be a "normal" high schooler. I didn't want to have to explain my situation to everyone I met. I wanted to join in when my friends' conversation turned to high school football games and homecoming dances. Despite these longings, I knew then that I couldn't allow one definition of "normal" influence my decision. After all, being home-schooled was such a unique opportunity. Although home-schooling is not without its challenges, I was not about to give up the benefits of my education just to be like everyone else.

Being home-schooled has forced me to work independently, be self motivated, and maintain a self-discipline that I will use for the rest of my life. I have created weekly schedules for myself, learned to master deadlines, and developed study strategies for my daily assignments. Because I complete schoolwork more efficiently, I have been able to balance my many extracurricular activities. Through these activities, I have discovered my passions for sports and music, made many authentic friendships, and given back to my community. Standing out from the crowd has opened my mind and taught me to respect the differences and unusual qualities of others.

So now I open my eyes, a little after 8am, pick out a comfortable outfit and head downstairs. I eat breakfast with my family, watching the chaos that is my five younger siblings with a smile. A school cafeteria could never compare to the warmth of my kitchen and taste of home cooked meals. Grabbing my cup of coffee, I head up to my room to begin outlining a biology chapter. I finish my studies in the early afternoon, attend my piano lesson, and drive to my soccer practice at a local field. I now smile when I tell people where I go to school and continue to answer their clueless questions. The stereotypes have not changed, but I have learned not to let these perceptions affect me. My daily routine and education method may be unusual, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Lillian, I have long admired the parents who take the time to home school their children and I admire the children even greater because they do not allow the monkey see, monkey do influence of their peers influence them to go to a regular school. You have taken one of the best educational avenues that a student can have and it shows in the maturity that is reflected in your essay. This is an excellent central identity prompt answer that allows you to shine a light not only on your personality, but also on the unique way that you developed into a person. In my opinion, your work in this essay is quite good and properly adheres to the prompt requirements. This is a very unique central identity essay that you should be very proud to add to your application documents :-)
OP jmjsoccer12 1 / 1  
Wow, that is great to hear! Thank you so much! :)

Home / Undergraduate / I was daydreaming about a typical, everyday routine of a high school student - Homeschool Background