Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Essay on DEATH METAL! (personal issue)

syookhong 7 / 21  
Please help me on grammar and provide any comments or suggestions!
Thanks in advance!!

TOPIC: Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.

Death metal, a genre of music that is considered to be the roots of violence to its listeners is in fact the only genre of music I have in my iPod. Many people who have listened to songs in my iPod always said something in common, "what is this? Is this music?" or "how can you listen to that?" Every now and then people would give negative comments about my musical taste, and I would just tell them that it is something that I enjoy. My passion for death metal emerged as I was casually browsing through YouTube videos on the internet. I came across a video clip called "Top ten death metal songs" and I was mesmerized at what I heard. The vocals were nothing like I've heard before, it contained deep guttural growls and pig-like squeals, drums were played with sheer aggression and power which sounded like shots being fired from a machine gun, and the most awe inspiring part was the complexion of the guitar solo that was played so swift it left me transfixed. It was my first encounter with death metal, and it will change the way I lived my life in a whole new way.

Death metal has always been a subject of much criticism for being the source of violence. From grotesque art on album covers to satanic lyrical themes, it is stereotypical to say that death Metal fans are sadist and dangerous people. Sure, death metal may seem harmful and dangerous, but it all depends on the person and how they interpret the music. I believe that death metal, despite its negative themes, can positively change a person's life. An example could be taken from my personal experiences with death metal and all of the achievements that I've gain from it.

Out of all the things that death metal had made an impact on my life, the most noticeable change is my appearance. The way I dress was so different compared to the way I dress before listening to death metal. A lot of people criticize about the way I dress. "Aren't you going to grow up and dress more appropriately?" some even said "Why do you only have cheap looking clothes?" I didn't want to wear clothes that impress other people but clothes that express my personality and to show who I truly am. Before I was bounded to death metal, I was quiet, shy, and always worrying about other's opinion on what I do. Death metal made me became more independent and to stick with my beliefs no matter what other people say. Now I have always stood up for the things that I believe in, and take pride in doing the things I love no matter what people's opinions were.

Not only did death metal made an impact on my personalities, it had inspired me to play musical instruments. Having listened to hundreds of bands with catchy tunes and melody, I no longer wanted to hear them, but I wanted to play what they were playing. I came to the thought that I was repugned to five years ago, which was to play a musical instrument. I still remembered how I would just ignore my parents every time they suggest that I play some musical instrument. However, death metal had such a major influence on me that it helps me overcome my fear of trying something new. Before I knew it, I was applying for an electric bass lesson at a music academy. I took the lessons every Saturday for two hours and after class, I was so hooked into the music that I would continue to practice the song over and over until I can play it cleanly. Playing a musical instrument was always a challenge for me because I was scared of trying new activities. If it wasn't for my devotion to death metal, I would still have no skill in the field of music.

To some people death metal will always seem like a gateway to violence, but by looking at someone like myself, I think that these statements could be disproven. Death metal had not made me become more violent or aggressive, but gave me a stronger personality, confidence, and talent of playing a musical instrument. It would be hard to imagine what my life would be like if I wasn't introduced to this unique genre of music. My passion for death metal is like another piece of puzzle that fills up an empty space in my life.

Home / Undergraduate / Essay on DEATH METAL! (personal issue)