"debating, a battleground of minds" - common app activity essay

ishterz 2 / 7  
please elaborate on one of your actives (150 words or fewer)

"How do you think the youth of Iraq will be influenced by your policies sir?", I questioned Dr. Ayad Allawi, former Iraqi Prime Minister offstage at the BBC Doha Debates; it was that moment five years ago which spurred my lifelong journey with debate.

By entering a battleground of minds where the most solemn to the most trivial topics are discussed,from euthanasia to the best flavored mayonnaise brand, I learnt to arise harmony from conflict and think critically by not only weighing alternative opinions but also analyzing my own .The attainment of the liberty of thought and expression propelled me to establish debate workshops in Shimla, India and coach debating afterschool to students to encourage young minds to openly discuss the most volatile subjects and bring them to a new found level of tolerance, knowledge and corporation which I progress towards.
crabball 5 / 22  
The idea is good, but i think you need to add more details about the activity, like what subjects you debated on, how you arose harmony. You can cut short of what you learn or make a conclusion in the end.

Gook luck!
"How do you think the youth of Iraq will be influenced by your policies sir?"

It would be better if you specified which kind of policy (i.e. education? economic? etc.)

after school (2 words)
debating after school to students to encourage young minds to...

corporation cooperation?

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "debating, a battleground of minds" - common app activity essay