Debating - Most Important Activities - UBC Personal Essay

sleepyshamrocks 4 / 6 4  

Tell us more about ONE or TWO activities listed above that are most important to you.

Please explain the role you played and what you learned in the process. You will be asked for a reference who can speak to your response. (350 words)

Debating has shaped the way I think and perceive the world in ways that no other activity can. Through debate, I have learned the importance of being able to address issues from different perspectives and engage with the opponent's arguments in order to create well-informed ideas. This has influenced the way I approach discussions with other people; objectivity, proper research, and the willingness to see the other person's side are key to establishing a peaceful and productive conversation. Furthermore, debate has taught me how to handle criticism towards my ideas and self, and how to separate those that I do have to address moving forward and those that are not constructive at all. This is especially important to me because I used to view criticism as an attack on my character, when it was really an opportunity for me to learn from my mistakes.

During high school, I took on the responsibility of being captain of the team. As captain, my role includes coaching middle and high school members, adjudicating debates during practices, facilitating discussions on various issues, preparing practice motions, and helping the school arrange internal competitions.

Like debate, I have been in the student council all throughout high school. When I was elected as president in Year 11, I was responsible for leading the student body, implementing student events, and liaising with the school administration, among others. Our activities came to a peak during preparations for our largest event, a run-for-charity raising funds for the construction of a mobile library to be used by the local community. The event was projected to attract over 400 participants, so I constantly hovered over my members during the three months of preparation, worried that they might not be able to pull through with their responsibilities. This turned out to be a flaw in my leadership, and after multiple discussions with my team, I realized that being a good leader meant trusting my members to perform their roles instead of trying to micromanage everything. Since then, I have continuously self-evaluated my actions in order to become a better leader.

This essay feels a little stiff to me, but I'm not sure what to improve. I'll gladly appreciate your help!
Lanyi 1 / 4  
well organized.
it would be better if you talk about a specific debate event than just list your responsibilities generally.
Besides, try to make your sentences more concise : )

Home / Undergraduate / Debating - Most Important Activities - UBC Personal Essay