"Dedication to an interest"-common app for CORNELL

winnie0603 2 / 8  
I really need some to look at my essay because my deadline is coming up! Please feel free to criticize my content and point out any confusion/awkwardness.It would also be great if anyone could cut down my content abit, as right now its over the limit by 55 words. Thanks!!!:]

Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

"What?! You want to learn piano?" was the reaction from my parents when they first hear me asking to attend a piano class. This response was more of an inquiry than an answer but is also what I had anticipated. No doubt that learning piano takes great tenacity and effort, and most of my peers who played piano started at a very young age; my parents were worried that learning piano now would only detract my attention from academics.

"Look," my father says to me, "you will be graduating in three years, and piano requires many years of practice to achieve even an intermediate level. Plus, you don't have any musical background. It's going to be hard."

"But I like it" was all I could say at that time, I really had no idea what learning piano is going to be like. As good parents as they were, they decided they would let me have an attempt.

For the first two month, I learned piano without owning one. I would go to my piano teacher's house everyday with her permission to let me practice on her piano for an hour. On other occasions, I practiced at home on a keyboard that I drew for myself. It was difficult but yet the thought that I could practice something new the next week kept me going forward. Despite my exuberant effort and attitude towards learning piano, my progress was slow. My piano teacher suggested to me to learn some other instrument instead, something that would demand less technical skills. I discarded the idea at once and decided for myself that I would continue to learn piano no matter what.

Soon, my parents brought me a second-hand piano and found me a new piano teacher. Since then, I would sit in front of my piano for hours and let music flow out into the apartment halls every afternoon. Day after day, my skills elevated in small increments. From not being able to sight read to be able to play all the songs that I wanted to play. However, I didn't stop there. A little after two years of learning piano, I took the Royal Conservatory of Music level 8 piano exam upon my teacher's recommendation. It was a momentous day for because this is a chance for me to demonstrate the fruit of my efforts and prove my capabilities. I couldn't remember a time I felt more anxious yet eager at once. When I received the results two weeks later, joyful tears streamed down my face. I knew everything I did was worthwhile.

Will power is key to a successful life. I was glad that I adhere to my passion and did everything I can to pursue my goals. In the end perseverance paid off. Perhaps it did not sound as significant as winning an Olympic math competition or receiving an internationally recognized award, but from learning piano, I learned the importance of dedication and having confidence in myself. Even though at first the odds were against me, I turned the discouragements from my teacher and parent as a driving force that helped me to accomplish and excel. I realize I have only accomplished one little thing out of many that would require far more patience and stamina, but whatever they are, I am ready to conquer them.
tsag3493 1 / 2  
I think you did a good job. I really get the feeling of your dedication to piano. I think you should emphasize a little bit more that you ;earned to be very proficient at piano despite owning one, which shows a dedication that not many people have.
ChihiroLavi 4 / 52  
Well written.

I think you may want to make the conversation shorter to satisfy the words limit.It seems not as important as other things.

Would you please look at my essays?THX~

Home / Undergraduate / "Dedication to an interest"-common app for CORNELL